Logo

2000 Johnson 90HP Alarm

Lee Robin

Hello Guys, I have a 2000 Johnson 90, model J90VLSSS. I recently had to replace the fuel lines, used 3/8" marine fuel hose, and filter. Now at WOT, running great, I get a long continuous "beep". Will stop when I slow and shut off the motor, wait a few seconds and start back up. According to the info my boat manufacturer supplied, it's a fuel restriction problem. I made sure all the hoses were replaced exactly as they came off. For the life of me I cannot figure this out. Even tried taking fuel cap off while running, no help. Any help/info is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Lee

(VRO Horn Warnings)
(J. Reeves)

NOTE: I retired around 1991/92. Possibly some of the later V4 engines and others may also incorporate a fuel vacuum switch that would enable a fuel restriction warning to sound as mentioned below, an unknown factor to myself.

1 - A steady constant beep = Overheating - The V/6 engines, possibly some others, have a fuel restriction warning which is also a steady constant beep.

2 - A beep every 20 or 40 seconds = oil level has dropped to 1/4 tank. (Late model engine = Every 40 seconds)

3 - A beep every other second = VRO failure, air leak in oil line, oil restriction, (anything that would result in a lack of oil being supplied to the engine).

NOTE - If the warning horn is the black plastic (overpriced) three wire type horn, the warning horn should beep once when the ignition key is turned to the ON position. If it does not, it is either faulty or someone has disconnected it (a stupid move!). At any rate, if it does not beep which indicates that the horn is non functional, find out why and do not run the engine until the problem is corrected.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay auction at:

http://shop.ebay.com/Joe_OMC32/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

A 90 doesn't have a fuel restriction alarm. As Joe suggests....probably overheating. Use a digital laser thermometer on the head to verify.

Gee...there are sure a lot of apparent overheat problems lately.

Back