Logo

Question- 812966A 7 — BASE ASSEMBLY, Water Pump

FiveStar

Contributing Member
Greetings my very helpful friends. Does this water pump base assembly need to be replaced when I do my water pump service? Or will I be OK with just the impeller, impeller base plate and gaskets. Keeping in mind that the housing is in good condition. It's a 2008 60hp two-stroke.

Rather not replace this part if I didn't have to. motors has had little use, i'm also reading that there a bitch to get out.

thanks!

Unless the base assembly is cracked or otherwise degraded there is no value to changing the base (plus it can be a pain in the butt).

If the pump hasn't been serviced in the recent past (or you don't know when it was done or greater than 10 years old) it's worth it to replace the impeller, the impeller plate, the gasket "under" the impeller plate, the cover gasket/o-ring (varies by model) and the seal (if any) on the cover (where the drive shaft comes in).

From then on you are fine to just replace the impeller every 2-3 years depending on how you use it and the climate you live in - believe Merc suggests every second year.

Back