Logo
Get instant online access to repair manuals for your Mercury / Mariner outboard. Online Manuals
MercuryMariner
Order printed Mercury / Mariner service manuals — shipped to your door! Printed Manuals
MercuryMariner
Use engine diagrams to find & order parts for your Mercury / Mariner engine. Engine Diagrams
MercuryMariner
Find parts quickly with Mercury application guides. Quick Parts Guide
MercurySierraCDI

Default Mercury 25HP prop won't turn

I recently bought a boat with a Mercury 25HP. Last week when I tested it out the motor ran fine. Only thing I have done since is load it on a trailer. I was taking it out yesterday when I backed it in and cranked the motor. Motor runs fine but the prop will not turn when in gear and the engine revs up. When it is "off" the prop will turn by hand in neutral or in gear. I have a steering wheel and a friend mentioned without looking at it that it could be a broken link in the cable. Any suggestions?

Default Re: Mercury 25HP prop won't turn

shift linkage needs to be looked at

What is the serial number of the motor? With the motor not running in forward gear the prop should ratchet in one direction and lock in the other and in reverse it should lock in both directions. Do not turn the motor over using the prop you can damage the impeller.

Just had to replace my plastic socket on my 1988 25 hp. Located under cover on starboard side of the engine. Connects throttle linkage and shift linkage. Easy to fix if that's the problem.

Look behind the carb for the shifting linkage you may need to take the electric starter off to see it. Make sure that is moving correctly should move up and down when shifting. Also look on the side of the engine where the rods are and make sure they are connected with no broken balls or sockets.