Logo

67 100 hp johnson with 66 ing

seventyfourci

I have what appears to be a 67 v4tl-13a 100 hp with a 66 ignition system with no fire. I am changing engines out and pulled the 67 motor wiring harness and remote and installed the same. The motor was said to be good but has not been used in 5 or 6 years. I did not confirm that it ran prior to changing it out (my mistake). Any help on trouble shooting this problem? Also any common problems with this engine would be nice to know. Any area I need to look into after the engine being down for this long would also be helpful. I did run a compression test prior to swapping engines out and all is well on compression.

If it truly is a '66 ignition system, that would be the conventional automotive type battery ignition system. Very simple for anybody familiar with old cars, etc. Basic first troubleshooting tests would be check voltage at the coil (+) terminal, and check for spark at the coil spark tower (ahead of the distributor). Results of those tests will tell you what direction to go from there.

1967 had the troublesome Prestolite CD ignition system--which probably is why it got changed.

1967 was a tough old motor with no real serious problems other than the ignition system. Avoid taking the 4-bbl carburetor apart unless absolutely necessary as the parts are getting rare and very expensive. The electric shift lower unit is borrowed from the stern drives and was used on much more powerful engines, so it is tough. Be sure to use the correct oil (OMC / BRP Premium Blend), and fix any water intrusion problems if it has any. Shift switch in the remote control is also getting rare and expensive.

Thanks for the help I thought it would be the same as my old hot rods but the dual point dist. was a lot different then the Mallory or the Accell dual points I ran back in the day, It turned out to have a bad coil. It is up and running but it blows the water out of the run tank I have it in without engaging the drive. It is pushing exhaust out of the screen right behind the prop. I made the assumption that was the water intake. During my testing I have kept the cylinder and head temp at 150 or below so all of this is taking a long time to complete with the daytime highs being well over a 100. If you have any ideas on the exhaust problem please let me know. Again thanks for the help.

Well I have a little more information. I opened the thermostat housing up and it has no springs,checks,or thermostat inside. I do not know if that is what is causing the exhaust problem but I do know that the engine will not operate at the correct temperature without these parts installed. The previous owner did not pass any of this information on to me. It makes me think the engine had a cooling issue and that is why these parts are missing.
Another issue I have found is the power trim does not work. I looked on the internet and cannot find the power trim that I have. It is the same green as the lower unit which makes me think it is a factory power trim. I you know where I can find a exploded view of the motor and pump it may just need a little TLC and a good cleaning. Any information that you could pass on would be a good thing.
I also have 3 props that came with the motor and may need some help with a good starting place if I can get the rest of the problems taken care of. Thanks again

Well I have a little more information. I opened the thermostat housing up and it has no springs,checks,or thermostat inside. I do not know if that is what is causing the exhaust problem but I do know that the engine will not operate at the correct temperature without these parts installed. The previous owner did not pass any of this information on to me. It makes me think the engine had a cooling issue and that is why these parts are missing.
Another issue I have found is the power trim does not work. I looked on the internet and cannot find the power trim that I have. It is the same green as the lower unit which makes me think it is a factory power trim. I you know where I can find a exploded view of the motor and pump it may just need a little TLC and a good cleaning. Any information that you could pass on would be a good thing.
I also have 3 props that came with the motor and may need some help with a good starting place if I can get the rest of the problems taken care of. Thanks again

Exhaust goes out of the motor just behind the prop.----------That housing may well be a combination of water going in the screen and exhaust going out the back of it !

There is a snout sticking down behind the prop. Water intake is on the forward edge of that. Underwater exhaust blows out aft of it. You are only kidding yourself if you think you can run that motor in a small container.

The stuff must be in the thermostat housing. At least the relief valve and spring side. It won't pump properly if those are not present.

I believe that motor only offered power tilt--not power trim. Check the accessories section of the parts lists here on this website.

EDIT: Oops, the accessories section doesn't go back that far.

EDIT EDIT: Posting the power tilt kit.

Attachments

• 39. Power Tilt Kit.jpg
    39. Power Tilt Kit.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Thanks for the information you have all saved me many hours of labor and aggravation. Do both springs and valves need to be in the thermostat housing for the water pump to operate properly? One of the springs is no longer available. Does anybody know where I might find a water pump kit? Can I get just the armature for the tilt pump any where that you now of, the motor and pump assembly show to be no longer available? After I disassembled the tilt motor and pump the only thing that I can find wrong with it is the armature. The area where the brushes run is cracked and separated from the shaft. Thanks again for the help.

The relief valve and spring must be in the therm housing. That is the one across from the vernatherm valve.

Water pump parts should be available here, if available.

That pump motor might present a problem.

And on to the next problem. As I ran this engine off and on over the last couple of weeks the compression has gone from 105 +/- to 125+/- and along with that the idle speed has increased to a point that it almost wants to run away. If I am correct on the idle adjustment screw it is turned down as low as it will go. Any ideas??

Probably had some stuck rings that freed up with a bit of running. Make sure the link & sync is correct (relationship between the carburetor and distributor). Make sure the carburetor throttle shaft is completely closing. Make sure the belt timing is correct.

Back