Logo

Mercury 110 9.8 Kiekhaefer Fast Throttle Issue

sahar_ca

Hi,
I am new to the boating and purchased a motor Mercury 110 9.8 Kiekhaefer with the serial Number 2709331( Red Color Strips) which seems like its a 1969 Canadian model (as I am in Canada)
Motor starts fine, does every thing but on my first test when I checked the speed it is going up to a maximum of 9 KM/hr and only goes to Start on the tiller (throttle) however on the throttle there are 3 options available.
Shift Range (I can turn the throttle to this one)
Start (I can turn the throttle to this one and when it gives me the Max Speed of 9 km but it locks here )
Fast (I cannot turn the throttle to this one)
I have an Inflatable Boat that I was using this Motor for,

My question
How can I make it go faster, seller from KIJJI was telling me that I can easily go to 25 KM

Any advise will help if needed I can send pictures or additional info too

Thanks in Advance

There is a shift lock feature and is also the high idle stop so you dont overrev the motor in neutral. Try pushing the shift handle into forward quickly and see if the high idle unlocks. There is a detent just follow the horizontal shift rod to the gears for the throttle you will see the adjustable tab for the high idle adjustment I believe it is supposed to keep the rpms around 2000 in neutral. Try setting the throttle to slow and then shift quickly and firmly into forward and see if the throttle goes to the fast mark or close?

There is a shift lock feature and is also the high idle stop so you dont overrev the motor in neutral. Try pushing the shift handle into forward quickly and see if the high idle unlocks. There is a detent just follow the horizontal shift rod to the gears for the throttle you will see the adjustable tab for the high idle adjustment I believe it is supposed to keep the rpms around 2000 in neutral. Try setting the throttle to slow and then shift quickly and firmly into forward and see if the throttle goes to the fast mark or close?

Thanks kimcrwbr1 for the details response
What I understood is as follows please correct me if I am wrong
1.I start the Motor in Neutral Position at home using the bucket of water
2.When engine is running in Neutral I shift to Forward Position
3 Than Try pushing the throttle to Fast to see if it works

Is this correct

Thanks kimcrwbr1 for the details response
What I understood is as follows please correct me if I am wrong
1.I start the Motor in Neutral Position at home using the bucket of water
2.When engine is running in Neutral I shift to Forward Position
3 Than Try pushing the throttle to Fast to see if it works

Is this correct
I did what you suggested and it worked now it goes on Fast side of the Throttle it looks like it was always going on Fast when I shifted to Forward.It must me be who did not observed it (newbie thing)
Now That Throttle (Fast)part is resolved next issue is relevant to Speed
I noticed that Motor is giving me at around 9 KM /hr which is slow can you please advise how to address this.

Thanks

Do a compression test first.----Then see if there is spark on both cylinders.---------Sounds like it is running on one cylinder.----------Have you changed the waterpump impeller ??--------That you must do on a " new to you motor "" and especially a 9.8 Mercury !

Do a compression test first.----Then see if there is spark on both cylinders.---------Sounds like it is running on one cylinder.----------Have you changed the waterpump impeller ??--------That you must do on a " new to you motor "" and especially a 9.8 Mercury !

Thanks for the questions racerone

Here is the response to your questions
Do a compression test first? How can I do that ? do I need an special equipment?
Then see if there is spark on both cylinders? I will remove the Plug cap and Ground the Plug cables and pull the string to start and see the spark .Is that correct approach for the Spark Test ? Do I need to connect the fuel line and do I need Bucket of water for the propeller?
Have you changed the water pump impeller ?According to Seller yes it was changed and water is coming out properly?

Last edited:
I thought you said it would not go past the start position in forward gear with the throttle grip. I will keep watching this thread until you get the story straight. Running fast in a bucket is not recommended it will blow the water out in about 2 seconds.

I thought you said it would not go past the start position in forward gear with the throttle grip. I will keep watching this thread until you get the story straight. Running fast in a bucket is not recommended it will blow the water out in about 2 seconds.

As per your suggestion I tried with no Engine running and I was able to shift it to Forward position and I was able to move the throttle in Fast position halfway to the white line is It suppose to be halfway only or should it go to all the way I tried pushing to all the way it is stuck in the middle .

Sorry about the confusing you ,I made a mistake during my observation while I was on the lake boating and thought it is not going towards the Fast at all.
Thanks for your help

Put the throttle at WOT and look in the carb the butterfly should be close to fully open it really dont matter what the arrow is pointing at on the handle. There should only be about 1/32 inch gap between the cam and the follower when you manually push the butterfly fully open. If the butterfly is fully open then you for sure have other issues like spark or plugged jet? Does your motor have external coils or are they under the flywheel? I believe in the middle of 69 is when they changed to the phasemaker ignition.

Looking closer at the parts look at the follower for the throttle pickup it could have been messed with. Does the engine idle good when fully slow on the handle? Adjust the follower to almost be touching the cam at slow speed then engine off put in forward gear and take it full throttle and check the pickup is not binding on the cam with your finger open the throttle butterfly and there should be 1/321 inch clearance between the cam and pickup follower. To adjust ti take it back slow and loosen the screw and adjust follower position until you get the proper clearance at WOT.
http://www.marineengine.com/newpart...=59000+:+LEVER+++++++++++++O+NLA&replacement=

Another possibility is it was improperly adjusted and over a period of time it can wear out the throttle shaft and carb body creating a bad vacuum leak internal in the carb. Look for slop in the throttle butterfly shaft by wiggleing it if alot of slop you need a new carb.

Back