Logo

Need Identification help

Susan Quandt

Hi. I have a giant marine? motor in a shed on my dads property. It has Gray Marine Model 725 in one spot and Z701 Always Give in another. My brother tells me there is a motor and transmission. I did a google search and can't find anything that matches this specifically. I'm a little confused because Wiki said Z engines were used in cars for a couple of years when a few guys bought Gray Marine and tried to take the company in that direction. i have no idea how old this engine is or if it even runs. I would just like to figure out exactly what it is. Thanks in advance for any help.

Susan:

This is one case where a picture is worth well over a thousand words...well maybe a few pictures....I'd suggest getting a few shots of what you have as well as detailed shots of anything that could be used to ID it....serial number plates in particular. Then post back here as well as at the sister site - oldmarineengine.com.....if its pre 1970's, (highly likely) the sister site is more likely to provide more users with knowledge of that era of equipment.

Good Luck

it appears to be an old inline 4 cylinder marine engine....only thing that comes to mind is an Atomic 4....but I'm not really familiar with them...

the plate on top of the gear (in Post #4) probably has the most info - perhaps someone could try to buff it out so it becomes legible....

Two options - try a post with the pics at Old Marine Engine dot com or look up Atomic 4 and see if you can match pics from the web with what you have.

FWIW, its doesn't look complete but most of it appears there...from what I can see....also looks like someone tried to add a closed cooling system of some sort....a picture or two of the left side (closed to the garage wall?) wouldn't hurt either...finally, it wasn't uncommon for an engine to be made by company A, marinized by company B, and then branded C (or sometimes B) .....

Sorry it took so long to get these.
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
DSCN3219 (Small).jpg

Attachments

• DSCN3214 (Small).jpg
    DSCN3214 (Small).jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 223
  • DSCN3215 (Small).jpg
    DSCN3215 (Small).jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 216