Logo

2003 BF 225 getting water in number 6 cylinder .

8seconds

I have a 2003 BF 225 (BAGJ 10001878) I completely rebuilt this motor 2 years ago . Quiet a task .. I do have a mechanical background . I do now know this motor inside out . Reason I rebuilt it was because it lost compression # 6cylinder which turned out to be a hole in the piston . Now 2 years later I have lost compression again #6cylinder . Pulled the head and encountered what appears to be salt water damage in the head and cylinder area . My question is what is causing this ? My thoughts are if its the exhaust sucking water back into motor would all cylinders show signs ? And what is the thought of bad head or head gasket ? All other cylinders are fine . Thanks in advance I have used the forum in the past and have had great results .

Hi....the first thing everyone will ask is.....how high are the exhaust ports above waterline? Honda recommends a minimum 6". They also issued a modified exhaust tube kit specifically to address this design flaw. Did you install this?

Hi....the first thing everyone will ask is.....how high are the exhaust ports above waterline? Honda recommends a minimum 6". They also issued a modified exhaust tube kit specifically to address this design flaw. Did you install this?
No I have not is there any Honda tech hotline where I could contact them to look into this ? This motor is on my 209 escape Grady white which does hang low off of stern .

Your problem is completely covered in Honda Service Bulletin #56, which covers BAGJ SN's 1000001 thru 1500324. Send me an e-mail at [email protected] and I will return the .PDF file containing the service bulletin.

The SB provides detailed instructions for installing the re-designed exhaust tubes that prevents water from getting sucked in to cylinder #6 (and #3). It provides exact part numbers needed. Last I looked, the kit costs about $110 on Boats.net In addition to the kit, you will also need 2 exhaust pipe gaskets and an O ring. Several folks on this forum have done the job themselves and given your previous experience with the engine, it should not be difficult for you.

You should also pull fault codes since there is a high likelihood that you have a blown HO2 sensor. If you have not done that before, send me another an e-mail and I will return a write-up of the procedure and a .PDF file showing what the codes mean.

Page 7 of the SB provides guidance on how to prevent a re-occurance of the problem. As mentioned, the exhaust tubes must be 6" above the water line. But also, when you start the engine, keep cranking it until it starts. When you crank it in a short burst, and it does not start right away, and if the #6 or #3 piston is at TDC, and there is a kickback, that can suck water into an open exhaust valve.

BTW - I think you have one too many digits in your posted serial number.

BTW (2) - The earlier year model 225's also have an issue with the mid-shaft bushing. It should be checked each time you inspect or change your water pump impeller.

Last edited:
Back