Logo

83 chrysler 85hp model#856h2k wont turn over-starter wont engage

redjed97

after rebuilding pontoon I had trouble getting fuel to the motor and after some time working with it I finally got it started and it ran for a few minutes and died. then it wouldn't start again. I can hear the choke engage when pushing in the key but nothing when I turn key to start. also when I bought this motor it did not have the ignition breaker hooked up-was bypassed probrably had other issues idk yet. no buzzer for the engine overheat also. all this happened after my extensive research on how to wire the new gauges like tachometer, fuel gauge, volt meter, and lighter outlet. I figure either I wired something wrong and messed up something else or its a key switch, starter, or solenoid problem. I'm very frustrated and not sure how to test these items.

I think so as it was running when it quit and wouldnt start back up but its been storming so i havent hooked battery back up but i will try tomorrow just to make sure i guess

The shifter when moved activates the safety switch.
Try turning the key as you move the shifter.

The battery if low will operate the choke and not the starter.
Make sure it's charged.
Even a battery that shows 12v can be bad.
Load tester 25$ at Harbor Freight.
A hygrometer is cheap too.(cell tester)

Get a factory manual for your motor.
It shows wiring diagrams and can help with the overheat system.
ANY horn will work.
Some horns won't work if hooked up backwards???

Finally stopped raining and Just as i thought its definitely not the battery. I hooked it up without all the accessories and same thing. I can hear the choke engage but no starter engagement. Guess i will take the parts to an auto store and have the starter and solenoid tested.

Found the issue yay! And the answer was that i had to wiggle the shifter to get it to activate starter Thanks jerry. I ordered a new switch just in case

Back