Logo

1988 dynasty Mercruiser 3.0 Alpha 1 drive hit shallows and now the prop won't engage

steve_dumont

First time posting on here, new to boating

Took the boat out on the lake the other day, ran great. After an hours or so out there, we ended up getting into some shallows. Long story short the boat had hit the shallows, props pretty banged up. Fired the boat back up after the incident and put it in gear, and the prop would not spin. After trying this twice the boat would stall when it was placed into gear. After the boat was towed out and on the trailer i put the boat in gear and turned the prop clockwise and had a ratcheting noise, and resistance when turned C Clockwise. I drained the oil, found 2-3 small chunks of metal in the oil, and about enough shavings to cover half of a penny. Took the out drive cap off the top and the gears look good, but when I spin the prop, the shaft and gears do not
turn.
Any help is appreciated.

thank you in advance!

The prop should ratchet clockwise and lock solid counterclockwise , resisitance turning it CCW indicates damage.
Split the drive and inspect each section.

When the prop was on the boat it would rotate clockwise with a quiet ratcheting noise, but would have resistance turning it CCW. (If I forced it, it would go) now with the prop off it will ratchet CW and not move CCW. While the boat is in gear.

Prop has bad hub... HOWEVER... chunks of metal and shavings inside drive mandate the drive be dismounted and split and repaired by a certified MERC mechanic.

When the prop was on the boat it would rotate clockwise with a quiet ratcheting noise, but would have resistance turning it CCW. (If I forced it, it would go)

To be able to turn the prop CCW in foward gear you would be turning the motor also

When the prop was on the boat it would rotate clockwise with a quiet ratcheting noise, but would have resistance turning it CCW. (If I forced it, it would go)

To be able to turn the prop CCW in foward gear you would be turning the motor also

*So after further examination, i was wrong. When I take the prop off the boat, put it in gear and grab the shaft that it mates to, i am able to turn the shaft CW and CCW with little resistance. While doing so I removed the top cap on the out drive (revealing the gears), and found that when I spin the shaft that the prop rides on that the revealed gears do not spin at all. When the boat is running and in gear I am able to see the output shaft turning. Im just trying to pick some brains and confirm that this is now a lower unit problem and most likely will need to replace it. Thanks again in advance, I appreciate all the help

Back