Logo

2006 15 HP Idle adjustment

cleco

Hello,

I have a 2006 Yamaha F15 that wont idle properly. Engine starts and runs fine but when handle is moved to idle it runs rough and then cuts out. Fuel filter is clean, plugs are good. Does anybody have the low speed adjustment procedure for the carb? I can see the throttle stop adjustment screw and have turned to increase the idle speed then it just idles to fast... it used to idle very slowly and smooth. Any help would be good

Thanks

Cleco

If you think it is strictly an idle speed issue, make sure you set the idle speed with the boat in the water and the outboard down in the water. ( I learned this the hard way like most everything else). Idle speed set with the engine running on ear-muffs will usually fail to idle in the water due to the exhaust back pressure created when the engine has to force exhaust down below the water line and out the prop hub (assuming your model has thru-hub exhaust). Think of it like blowing through a long straw that's in a deep glass of water vs: blowing through one that isn't. Takes more fuel and force to blow exhaust out below the water line.

Also - try running a good dose of SEA FOAM in a tank of gas and see if it smooths out. WHenever I have anything running rough before I grab for the wrenches I grab some Sea-Foam at the auto parts store! The stuff is amazing and lots of fuel related problems have a way of just going away after running a tank with a good dose in it.

Back