Logo

5.8 ho Pcm with pro tec injection, engine turns over but will not start

Eagle301

The engine turns over fast and then slows down and sometimes back fires through exhaust. The injectors are spraying fuel when engine is turning over. I took a fuel sample from the tank and did not find water in the fuel. I checked the 3 circuit breakers on the back of the engine and they are okay. I pulled the plugs and they are wet with fuel. I checked for spark at the plugs and had no spark, I checked 2 wires, one from each coil pack and neither have any spark. I checked for battery power at the coil pack and it is okay. What would be the next step?

Last edited:
I'll check my 'library' later today for the troubleshooting sequence.....

Bad news is most replacements parts are no longer available for that ignition....most everybody switches it out for an aftermarket breakerless distributor...

No luck for the protect troubleshooting procedure....my notes indicate there are LOTS of posts on other boards.....the consensus is to swap it out for a 'maintainable' HEI distributor....many of the posts have DIY how-to guides - some with pictures....not hard at all...

No luck for the protect troubleshooting procedure....my notes indicate there are LOTS of posts on other boards.....the consensus is to swap it out for a 'maintainable' HEI distributor....many of the posts have DIY how-to guides - some with pictures....not hard at all...[/QUOT

would I still be able to use the projection system, or would I have to convert to a carburetor?

Back