Logo

1984 3l OMC tilt problem

Jtmcg3

The tilt motor runs but will not raise drive. It can be raised by picking up on it and it raises when in the water and in reverse. Is this a clutch problem, or a coupling problem? Running it in reverse when tilted up could cause damage too. I have not checked the solenoids or taken the clutch cover off to check it's condition. Maybe the motor is just weak but why would that cause it to raise when reversing? I am now rambling on, any help would be appreciated as no one wants to work on this old of a boat

The tilt motor runs but will not raise drive. It can be raised by picking up on it and it raises when in the water and in reverse. Is this a clutch problem, or a coupling problem? Running it in reverse when tilted up could cause damage too. I have not checked the solenoids or taken the clutch cover off to check it's condition. Maybe the motor is just weak but why would that cause it to raise when reversing? I am now rambling on, any help would be appreciated as no one wants to work on this old of a boat
Pulled the cover plate and found the plate is broken allowing water into the clutch. I installed a new clutch and the tilt works but can't fix the plate nor can I find a replacement. Not sure what to do now. No plate no boat.

I have no idea what that plate looks like - but, is it something simple enough, like a flat plate with bolt holes, that a metal shop could fabricate? I've had to have some simple parts fab'd when working on old cars.

Back