Logo

DF25RL Starter

Revy_ajax

While in Canada last week the starter on my 2011 DF25RL stopped working. No click, no turn, nothing. The pull start works fine but very inconvenient. Can someone give me a little assistance on what the problem might be and what parts I might need. I have not worked on this engine but have experience working on similar problems on other small engines. The starter unit looks pretty straight forward with what appears to be a solenoid mounted on the one side. When I look at parts diagrams I see no reference to a solenoid. I will be head back to my place up north in another week or two and would like to repair the unit. Any assistance is greatly appreciated, Thanks
Regards
Craig

Check battery charge first with a dvm. Do a voltage drop test from pos. battery post to pos. post on starter to see if it rotates flywheel.

Thanks a bunch Johnnygjr. When the starting unit was going bad, I had thought it was the battery as the last time it started with the elec it turned slowly and sounded very labored,,,,,,,,,, so I bought a new battery. I will do the test on the bat post to starter post. If I understand you correctly,,,,,,, if I run a jumper from the pos battery to the pos post on the starter, with the ig key on, the starter should turn and engage???? Please Advise????? If nothing happens, then there is a problem with the starter???? The other day while I was looking at the starter unit trying to determine how to remove it, I accidently hit the post at the bottom of the (solenoid)??? unit with a screwdriver and it sparked big time.......... which indicated to me there was good power to that unit. Does this make sense???? Please advise... and thanks again for your assistance.
Regards

c

Fully charge battery overnite slowly.Check voltage of battery next,PLace one lead of voltmeter on pos.batt. terminal &other lead on pos.starter terminal,have asst. turn key to check for voltage drop. With key off readings should be the same on both terminals.This test will tell if cable is bad.To test starter, jumper cables from battery to starter can be used.Pos.batt. to Pos.starter terminal Neg.batt. to body of starter.

Last edited:
Thanks Johnny, I will perform your recommended procedures. One issue I have is that the boat/motor is at my property in Canada and I am in Pennsylvania. I definitely want to have this unit running when I return. Yesterday I purchased a Relay/Solenoid for $29. If this is the problem it is a cheap fix. Are there any other parts that I might pick up prior to my return that could possibly be the problem. Again thanks for your help
Regards

c

Back