Logo

Outboard Motor Storage

davemc119

I have a 70 HP Johnson outboard vintage 1998. The oil has its own injection system. Each spring I take the boat and motor out of storage the fuel bowls are filled with oil. I think what is happening is over the winter the gas is evaporating leaving the oil. I have two questions concerning this:

Should I empty the bowls each fall before I put it away?

On this type of engine can you disconnect the fuel line and run the engine to empty the bowls without damaging the engine and if you do this will the injection system fill the bowls with oil?

Dave Mc

you can run the engine to clear carbs without damage..just make sure you are in water or on muffs..most people run them dry while still on trailer with lower unit in water every trip...I recommend this...the reason for this is even though you may be planning on using the boat the next weekend something could happen and it could be months before you use it..and then you are looking at gummed up carbs..

if you have stored the rig with full carbs over the winter you are a lucky guy not to have carb trouble..maybe using a gas treatment that saved you..

I am not familiar with the oiling system on that motor but if the carbs are filled with oil that seems a little too much to me...I don't think you are looking at pure oil..i think you are looking at a mix of whats left of the gas and oil..sludge for lack of a better word...just run the carbs out before storage and don't worry about it is what I would do..

Loosen the oil tank cap when you store the boat. If there's no oil in the carbs in the spring, get a new cap.

Back