Logo

Gauges work but not completely 2007 Scout 205SF Yamaha F150

RjStrickJr

Completely new boat owner here. We got it a week ago and have been on the water 3 times now. My concern is the gauges only partially work. Fuel level is working and RPM along with the trip meter and time of day. What I cant get to work is the speedometer and the oil and temp to light up. The speedometer will register but only up to 4MPH and it doesn't always register. I pulled the dash panel off and checked all the connections and they appear to snug and corrosion free. Any suggestions would be great. They are Yamaha Gauges, I attached a photo of the helm if it helps.

Attachments

• dash.jpg
    dash.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
I recommend that you post your question on the Yamaha Forum on this site. Go to the top left of this page, click on "Forum Home" and scroll down to the Yamaha outboard forum.

Typically, when you turn on the key switch, you will get a brief alarm sound and the oil pressure and overheat lights will go on briefly to show that the lights are working. When you start the engine, the lights will go out unless there is an overheat situation or a low oil pressure situation. I'm not sure this is the way the Yamaha outboard engine works or not. That's why you should post to the Yamaha Forum.

The speedometer is often run by a pitot tube that comes from your engine and measures water pressure against the leg. The opening to the pitot will be a very small hole on the front of the engine's leg that easily gets clogged up. Mine would get clogged so often that I cut the line, plugged the side from the engine and routed an external pitot pickup from the transom. You can try to clean it carefully, but you do not want to mess up the diaphragm inside. See the link below.

http://www.starmarinedepot.com/sier...OC4Ir3NINGQUU5NldbQ1aVIvaj_6zIJQr0hoC3prw_wcB

I recommend that you post your question on the Yamaha Forum on this site. Go to the top left of this page, click on "Forum Home" and scroll down to the Yamaha outboard forum.

Typically, when you turn on the key switch, you will get a brief alarm sound and the oil pressure and overheat lights will go on briefly to show that the lights are working. When you start the engine, the lights will go out unless there is an overheat situation or a low oil pressure situation. I'm not sure this is the way the Yamaha outboard engine works or not. That's why you should post to the Yamaha Forum.

The speedometer is often run by a pitot tube that comes from your engine and measures water pressure against the leg. The opening to the pitot will be a very small hole on the front of the engine's leg that easily gets clogged up. Mine would get clogged so often that I cut the line, plugged the side from the engine and routed an external pitot pickup from the transom. You can try to clean it carefully, but you do not want to mess up the diaphragm inside. See the link below.

http://www.starmarinedepot.com/sier...OC4Ir3NINGQUU5NldbQ1aVIvaj_6zIJQr0hoC3prw_wcB
Thanks for the info. I believe your right on the gauges. I thought they would display a temp and pressure like an auto gauge would. They do light up when the key is first turned on and then go blank. I am going to assume they are doing their job. As for the speedometer, I'm heading out the door to explore the possibilities. Thanks again.....

I think that was it. Completely clogged up. I used a 1/16" drill bit and turned it with my fingers till it came back clean. The first 1/2" was stopped up pretty good but when the debris came out the drill bit would slide in and out about 1-1/2" freely so I am guessing the diaphragm you speak of is further back in the hole. Attached are some photos of the clean hole.

I also noticed a grommet is cracked, I was thinking some sho goo until the new one arrives. Is that a good thing or bad thing to use?

Attachments

• 0714160806_resized.jpg
    0714160806_resized.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 0714160831_resized.jpg
    0714160831_resized.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 0714160832_resized.jpg
    0714160832_resized.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 19
Glad to know it was a simple fix. Just remember to clean it often.

I don't recognize that grommet. What is feeding through it? Probably best to seal it as soon as you can.

It is under the bottom of the lower cowling on the left side. one of the lines is the washout hose I think. I was told the F150 didn't have a wash out but it appears to have it on this one.

Back