Logo

1986 40 hp Evinrude VRO Fuel Pump VRO Fuel Pump part #5007421

I replaced my 1986 VRO Fuel Pump on my 1986 40 HP Evinrude.
Original VRO Fuel Pump had 3 wires new VRO Fuel Pump has 4 wires. 4th wire being a purple lead. Instructions state to connect purple to purple wire on terminal block of my engine. Instructions further state that if terminal block does not have a purple wire then connect it to the VRO Plug? My terminal block has no solid purple wire but it does have a solid yellow wire with a purple stripe? And I do not know where my VRO Plug is?1.jpg2.jpg

Do not connect it to any of the yellow wires those are for charging the battery only. Did you unplug your old VRO Pump if you did that is your plug. Put a pic up of your terminal block, The 4 wire plug will go into the 3 wire plug already on the motor.

Last edited:
Do not connect it to any of the yellow wires those are for charging the battery only. Did you unplug your old VRO Pump if you did that is your plug. Put a pic up of your terminal block, The 4 wire plug will go into the 3 wire plug already on the motor.

Hi Scott,
The new pump 4 wire came with a purple wire. The old connector only had 3 wires, none purple. The new pump came with a new male connector with a purple wire in it. Your supposed to take the 3 wires out of old male connecter and plug them into the new male connecter with the purple wire in it. Those 4 wires match up. I just don't have a purple wire on the terminal block to connect the purple wire too. I will upload a picture of block shorty.

2.jpgHere is a picture of my terminal block on my 1986 Evinrude 40 HPI called the dealer and they were unable to help besides giving me BRP's phone number. I called and they are looking into it currently. I was hoping posting here would be faster.

View attachment 13666 3.jpg Here is a picture of my terminal block on my 1986 Evinrude 40 HPI called the dealer and they were unable to help besides giving me BRP's phone number. I called and they are looking into it currently. I was hoping posting here would be faster. And a picture of the new 4 wire VRO Fuel Pump connector on the left and the new connector with the purple wire on the right with the old 3 wires inserted into it.

Called dealership, and they said take it too a shop they cant help me. WTF the made the motor! Cantyou tell me where 1 purple wire from the VRO FUel Pump goes???

Morning Scott,
It is not a tiller or remote. It is the main VRO Fuel Pump for my 1986 40 hp Evinrude motor. The original fuel pump had 3 wires the new one comes with 4 wires, one being purple in color which the instructions say to connect it to the terminal block where the other purple wire is connected. Problem is I have not purple wire on the terminal block.

The purple wire on J/E engines is always powered ON to +12v when the key is in the ON position. It is switched +12v.
So, I see an empty spot on the bottom of your terminal block. That MIGHT be where the purple wire from the keyswitch was originally attached.
Look at your "big red plug" which is the boat harness connector to engine harness connector.
There will be a purple wire in the big red plug (engine harness side) that runs into the taped up harness. That wire should go to the terminal block, inside the harness, and if it had been cut, you will likely find the end somewhere over near the terminal block.

The fuel pump and the mixing function will work just fine without the +12v switched power supply feeding it.
The pumping and oil mixing are strictly mechanical.
The +12v is used for the "no oil" sensor function only.

So, you have a few choices.
1. Find the cut purple wire back at the terminal block and repair that; hook VRO purple as instructions say.
2. Find the purple wire as it comes out of the "big red plug" on the engine harness, and splice your VRO purple in right there.
3. Leave it disconnected.

AHHH

Yes, now I see why scott wanted to know if it was a tiller or a remote.
The question went right over the OPs head.

Scott wanted to know if the engine was a tiller model or a remote model (one with a remote control forward in the boat).

If it is a tiller model, it will not have a "big red plug", no keyswitch, and no boat harness, no choke wiring (I see it missing also from pic), etc.

So you are down to one choice if it is a tiller model....leave it disconnected.

AHHH

Scott wanted to know if the engine was a tiller model or a remote model (one with a remote control forward in the boat).

If it is a tiller model, it will not have a "big red plug", no keyswitch, and no boat harness, no choke wiring (I see it missing also from pic), etc.

EXACTLY thank you

AHHH

Hi,
Daselbee. It is not a tiller motor. It has a key start and a steering wheel. I will look for the big red plug and post a picture. Wish me luck!

Hi Joe reeves, I'm sorry I was out shopping with my wife. As soon as I get a chance I will look and see what's connected to A terminal. Thanks Dave

If it is a remote and you can't find the purple wire look in the control box it should be in there and you can run it back to the motor. If not you can run it off of the A Terminal like JOE said and you will have to splice it together.

Hi Joe reeves, I'm sorry I was out shopping with my wife. As soon as I get a chance I will look and see what's connected to A terminal. Thanks Dave

Understood... I was married for 49 years. I was always told when I was going grocery shopping, it was never a request.

I'm a little confused, which is not too unusual, however..........................

Post 8 shows a terminal strip with a "Purple" wire attached.

Post 11 states that you do not have a purple wire attached to your terminal strip.

Is that terminal strip clip a copy of someone elses? If so, do you have a empty terminal spot on your terminal strip?

Last edited:
Understood... I was married for 49 years. I was always told when I was going grocery shopping, it was never a request.

I'm a little confused, which is not too unusual, however..........................

Post 8 shows a terminal strip with a "Purple" wire attached.

Post 11 states that you do not have a purple wire attached to your terminal strip.

Is that terminal strip clip a copy of someone elses? If so, do you have a empty terminal spot on your terminal strip?

I think you are looking at the large red wire that runs back over to the starter solenoid. That is red, not purple.

I cannot see a purple switched +12v wire on that strip.

LOL,
I hear ya Joe! Post #8 shows the 4 new wires coming from the New VRO Fuel Pump and the new connector supplied with the Pump and that you put your 3 existing old wires(right side of connector) including a new purple wire that is already installed in the connector(that I am not sure of where to attach). Here are 2 more photo's just taken. One is of the Big Red Plug 20160801_152033.jpgand then the second shows where the purple wire that comes out of the Big Red Plug gets
attached20160801_175743.jpg to the motor. Thanks so much for all this help also guys!
Also my terminal block the top screw and bottom screw are the screws that mount the terminal block to the motor.
attachment.php

Last edited:
I think you are looking at the large red wire that runs back over to the starter solenoid. That is red, not purple. I cannot see a purple switched +12v wire on that strip.

View attachment 13666
Can you see it now? top wire screw of terminal strip... purple! I'm aware that the extreme top and bottom screw are retaining screws for the terminal strip... I've been in this trade since 1960 and keep on top of it. I don't need a lesson in colors or where wires go.

That's red Joe.
Large gauge, goes to starter solenoid for charging.

The purple wire OP shows connected to the primer solenoid is in the wrong place, if it is truly PURPLE......

The primer solenoid pick wire should be purple/white....I think.

I am sorry if you took that the wrong way daselbee. I just didnt know if the picture of the block showed enough that the top and bottom screws were retaining screws. I did not mean to insult you. I could not tell if that wire was purple. It is so old and worn. I will try and look at it in better light in the morning.
Thanks again, Dave

Back