Logo

Issue with finding serial number on old Mercury outboard

Novice Joe

I believe the motor I have is a 1962 or 64 Mercury/ kiefenaur 110 (9.8hp) outboard. I located the plate that displays the serial number (161-8922), but every site I visit has no listing. I am in the process of a complete tear down and rebuild so I need to know what engine is installed so I can obtain the correct gaskets and o-rings. I cannot locate any numbers on the engine other than part numbers and the only definitive embossments is the word LIGHTNING on the outside of the casting along cylinder location.

This very site lists your motor and the parts.-------------Your motor is white and listed as a 63 model.----And the serial # is used to find / order the parts.-------The early 9.8 motors I have taken apart had bad crankshaft bearing surfaces.

Last edited:
I also can not find my serial number to my outboard. It is a 9.8hp Mercury and says 110 on the top of it. Please advise???!!!

If your original sticker/plate that would have contained the serial is gone then you can look on the powerhead itself for a "welsh plug".

It will look like the one in the picture attached (marked "here" on the pic).

It may not be in the same location (the pic is of a later model 9.9) but it will be on the powerhead somewhere.

So take a close look :)

Attachments

• Outboard.jpg
    Outboard.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 2,027
Back