Logo

Is my evinrude driveshaft broke

K

klw

I have a 48 hp evinrude. Whe

I have a 48 hp evinrude. When I engage it into forward or reverse the lower unit engages (it locks versus being free in neutral) but I get no propeller action. Does this mean my driveshaft is broken?

I forgot to add that when I s

I forgot to add that when I shift the motor into gear (forward or reverse)with the engine off and I turn the flywheel manually the propeller does not turn. I check to see if the propeller turns and it seems to have locked into gear. When I place the motor back into neutral the propeller now spins freely.

"klw.... It's possible, fr

"klw.... It's possible, from what you've stated, that the hub in the propeller is slipping. Install another propeller to see if that corrects the problem.

Joe
"

" If the hub in the propeller

" If the hub in the propeller is slipping, would turning the flywheel manually with the motor in forward gear cause the propellor not to turn? If the hub was spun would I still see the spindle and hub nut rotating? Thanks for your help.
klw "

"klw.... In re-reading your tw

"klw.... In re-reading your two initial posts, it sounds like you're saying that when you put the lower unit into gear, the propeller is locked, and in fact jammed solid in such a manner that you can not turn the propeller at all. There is something here that is somewhat confusing.

I would suggest that you drop the lower unit so that you may inspect it. Have you removed the drain plug to check the condition of the oil, and if so, were there any metal fragments in it?

As I re-read your post, it comes across that possibly the gearcase is jammed internally, coupled with a sheared driveshaft (but lets hope not).

Joe
"

" Hi,

While reading this, w

" Hi,

While reading this, what's confusing to me is that the prop turns in neutral, so the propshaft is free. In gear, you are able to turn the engine and cannot turn the prop, yet the prop (and propshaft) doesn't turn with the driveshaft. I'd think that if the lower unit locked up, it would remain locked in neutral. Just wondering, what happens when you turn the engine with the lower unit in neutral?

I'm not sure exactly how these lower units work, but are you sure you are turning the engine (and the prop) in the correct direction? I'm in complete agreement with Joe, the only thing to do here is remove the lower unit and take a look at the driveshaft. It could be snapped or the splines on the driveshaft or crankshaft may be stripped, from the impact of a lower unit freezing somehow.

Jon "

Back