Logo

Resealing deck to hull

chawk_man

Silver Medal Contributor
I have a 1992 C-Hawk 25 DLX. It leaks between the deck and hull. I've pulled the rub rail insert and rub rail base. It is a box-type joint where the deck flange fits over the top of the hull. The flange is screwed to the top of the deck using SS wood screws. The gap between the flange and the hull has been sealed with some sort of rubbery white silicone. Some of the silicone looks good, but some is not. In some places the gap is almost an inch wide.

Is there any way to repair this without removing the connecting screws (over 200 of them) and digging out all of the silicone? That is going to be a long, tedious job.

If I do go down that route, what is the best sealant to use? I've seen recommendations for Caulk Life (or something like that), 3M 5200 and 3M 4200. Most websites say to NOT use silicone.

Getting all of that silicone out of the gap is going to be tough to do. Any recommendations for doing that efficiently and completely? Just how clean does that gap need to be?

If I go with the 3M 5200, how do I keep it in the joint until it cures sufficiently to stay in place?

Thanks in advance for any recommendations

Back