Logo

siphoning the gas tank, primer bulb or ?

eric80

Regular Contributor
Morning
couple of questions
I"m having issues getting gas to my motor
amongst other things

I want to siphon the gas from the tank. I have two primer bulbs, one for the main motor and one for the kicker.
If I cut the gas line at the kicker and prime the bulb will the gas draw continue and end up draining the tank?
(yes i'll keep the hose exit end down below the tank)
If no I can run an old garden hose into the tank though the filler hose or inspection port. Does anyone have any tricks to get the gas out besides me sucking on the hose and hopefully not get a mouth full of gas. (yes I can pre prime the hose)

While on this both my primer bulbs will not draw gas. they go through my gas water filter which has two exit ports. I'd think I either have a blockage in my gas water filter (unusual I'd think as it was new 6 months ago and used 3 days). or from my main tank again which would be odd as I'd have to have one hell of a blockage to stop the gas.

My lines look good ie no cracks but i'll replace them anyway just to be sure.

While I'm replacing the lines should I put some grease or ? on the sleeve such that I can get the hoses off in the future?

thanks for your consideration16' fuel hose from tank 2 2016-07-11 15.37.21.jpg16' fuel hose from tank.jpg

I siphon the gas out of my bass boat every year......I pull the fuel gauge unit that has the float........it has 6 screws on the top of the tank under my seat. I got a small gas siphon kit at pep boys......the hose is small and it takes a while but it works........I cut a piece of electrical 1/2" pvc on an angle long enough to to just reach the top of the tank by a few inches........(not too short as to slip down into the tank) then put the one end of the siphon hose down the pvc (the pic helps keep the hose straight and gets it to the bottom of the tank) and get the siphon going and just interchange cans until the tank is empty.........good luck

Back