Logo

Which of these two old outboards is the best....

68rs327

I am looking for a outboard for my 16' Jon boat that I am restoring.
Both motors are $200 Each, trying to decide which one to buy.
I'd like to know which one is the best, most reliable, easiest to work on , which has replacement parts, and which has the best reputation of being bullet proof if there is such a thing.

First motor is a 1960's - 18hp Evinrude Fastwin
Second Motor is a 1960's - 20hp Mercury 200

Please don't be bias since I posted this in the Johnson/Evinrude section :)

The Evinrude is by far the best choice.------------Stainless shafts.----------Ignition /tune up parts are cheap.--------No special tools required.

Update;
I just got off the phone with the guy who's selling the motor.. He said he's owned the motor for years, Last year he had a mechanic put a new fuel pump on, water pump, and rebuilt the carb. He said it needs a tune up, he said he got it out this year and he couldn't get it started. He said he can spray carb. cleaner in it and it will spit and sputter... ?
He said he'd take $125 for the motor..
Not sure what it's going to take to fix it, but I think I can afford to put a little in it and still be okay on price.
Any thoughts on where to start.. Picking it up Wednesday.

Evinrude! Give it good gas and oil, do routine maintenance and it'll last forever

Picked up the motor today.
Nice shape, nothing broke on motor.
Motor is a 1965 by the serial number 18502S.
The guy said last year he had a mechanic put in a new fuel pump, water pump and rebuilt the carb.
He said he tried to start it this spring and it wouldn't start, he can spray carb cleaner in it and it will spit and sputter.
I will look at the coils first, plugs, mag, Etc. the boat mechanic told him for $100 he would replace all the electronic items mentioned but he chose not, because a friend gave him a running 20 hp Johnson. I might just drop it off at the boat mechanic and let him go through the motor.
The guy also threw in a gas tank and hose.... I'm happy.

don't spray carb cleaner in it if you decide to putter with it...use the regular gas oil mix that you have in the gas tank...there is no lube in the carb cleaner...

Back