Logo

1995 Evinrude No start, new starter, solenoid , battery, and cables.

vapeLAW

So I am at a stand still on my outboard motor, details of the motor are as follows: 1995 Evinrude 40HP E40TLEOD on a Manitou pontoon boat.

In short the motor is not starting now not even turning over.

When I got the boat in the water everything was running fine, then one day the starter started making this horrendous screeching noise but still would start the motor fine so I ordered a new starter. before the new one came the situation got worse. I go to start the boat one day and when the starter engaged it went up and turned really slow. the starter gear was turning only about a half a turn per second. during this time, I pulled the spark plugs out and when I went to turn the key the starter would engage and turn the flywheel normally but would go back to slowly turning when the spark plugs were replaced. When the new starter arrived I installed it and to no avail the same problem with the starter turning slowly, not even enough to create a spark. (note. Pull starting the motor worked fine and the motor fires right up and stays running) at this point I was thinking the battery was the problem as it was getting up there in age so I replaced that and the positive and negative cables still nothing. Now it seems like the starter it not getting any power as it won’t move at all. was told to Replace the solenoid, so I did and still nothing. however, the solenoid is clicking when the key is turned. below I have listed all the parts that have been replaced with new parts (not used parts)

Battery
cables
starter
solenoid
spark plugs

carbs were also cleaned earlier this summer.

thank you in advance for any help

if you hear the solenoid picking then the circuit is simple....from the battery positive post to the solenoid and through it to the post on the starter...take a reading from the positive post to ground with the key off...turn the key to start and see what the reading is..then take the meter lead that is in the positive post of the battery and move it to the post on the starter..turn the key to start and take a reading...get back to us with the readings..

make sure you have not hooked up the battery backwards....

Tight but dirty terminal ends result in a voltage drop!

Remove all cables and wires associated with ther electric starter system, clean the end terminals thoroughly and also the components that those terminals attach to. This includes the battery terminals themselves, the starter solenoid terminals, the connection at the starter, and the ground terminal at the powerhead. When this procedure is completed, should you still have the same problem, grab hold of the main battery cables, one at a time, feeling the cable from the battery to its attachment completion. A hot cable indicates that the cable is either corroded internally or has a bad terminal connection close by.

ok so sorry for the long delay.... battery + and - with key off 12.55V: Negative to solenoid + output 12.43V: Negative to positive on starter 12.43V: Battery with key turned 12.41V,

ok so sorry for the long delay.... battery + and - with key off 12.55V: Negative to solenoid + output 12.43V: Negative to positive on starter 12.43V: Battery with key turned 12.41V,

Having the new starter tested tomorrow at the marina will post the results

if ''key on'' was key turned to start then I would suspect either a high resistance from the battery positive post to the starter.a defective solenoid (if it was picked), or an open starter...it could also be a bad ground from the negative post to the motor...

take a voltage reading from the positive post on the starter to a ground on the motor with the key turned to start....

The new starter starter was locked up so putting the old one back in, and now I am back to the fly wheel turning very slow, if i pull the spark plugs out however, the flywheel turns with the starter at normal speed.

Back