Logo

battery alarms

deschene

I have twin Honda 225hp outboards which I changed both batteries about 2 months ago. Like always before I take her out, I run both motors to make sure everything is fine. No issues. When I got to the dock to launch, I started them up and both battery alarm and lights went off. I decided to take her out anyway and other than the annoying sound, nothing ever happened. Meaning they never died and ran good. Any ideas why the alarms will not shut off?

Since you have just changed the two batteries, it is possible that you may have momentarily, connected the battery cables in reverse....blowing the 150 amp fuse. Sounds like quite a coincidence for it to happen to both motors...but stranger things have happened.

At least that is the first place I would look. The fuse is located in a black plastic case about 2" x 1". There should be a spare inside the case.

If that fuse blows, the alternator does not see the battery, thus sounding an alarm all the time the motor is running.

Mike

Is the alarm continuous or is it long beeps? If continuous, I doubt that it is an alternator problem.

Do I understand correctly that once you started the engines at launch, the alternator light went off (which it is supposed to do if the alternator is charging) but the alarm kept sounding? If so, the first thing to do is pull fault codes. If you don't know how to do that, send me an e-mail at [email protected] and I will return a write-up of the procedure. All that it requires is a paper clip or short piece of solid wire.

Back