Logo

BF225 2003 alarm issue part ll

Captmerc

Just got my boat back, from annual bottom paint and engine(s) serviced, unfortunately I am still having the alarm issue I posted about prviously
http://www.marineengine.com/boat-forum/showthread.php?431928-2003-Honda-bf-225-alarm-issue

apart from the usual service items I had the oil sensors at the back of the engine changed, just as a means of eliminating them as the problem.

just to recap, engine will run fine at all rpm ranges and for at least 30 minutes (longest run I have made) if I slow down to idle, the engine goes onto limp mode at 3200 rpm, and the oil light goes out.
Prior to having them serviced and the sensors changes, if I did a ECM fault reset she would run fine.
Yesterday I tried the reset immediately after discovering that she would not rev above 3200, i tried the reset, infact after trying it at least 5 times ite fault would not clear. After about 4 hours at the beach we got ready to leave, I did the reset, and this time it cleared the fault and the run home was uneventful.

Assuming that the mechanic did change the aensors, and the fact that I could not initally clear the fault, I have two thoughts.
1. The issue is a bad ground, I base that on the fact that it only happens after a longish run, heat causes more resistance, hence why the fault would not clear until the engine had cooled.
2. Some issue with the ECM.

any thoughts would be appreciated.

I went back over your original posts. One thing I did not see was that the water pump impeller was changed out. Has it been? Also, when you get the green oil light going off again, stop the engine and immediately pull the dip stick and see how hot the oil is. It should be hot but touchable. If it is really hot, you are really having an overheat problem.

"Limp" or "Safe" mode on this engine is 1800 rpm. So I doubt you were in a Limp" mode that was brought on by the ECU. If memory serves me correctly, according to the manual, if the either oil sensor detects oil pressure below the preset minimum depending on engine speed and temperature, the engine will go into limp mode at 1800 RPM. If the condition does not clear, it will continue to operate at maximum of 1800 rpm.

Try clearing the faults the normal way by shunting the black and green/white wires on the red service connector with a paper clip, turning on the key, and pulling the kill switch in and out five times. If the faults were successfully clear, you should get a beep or two beeps.

Yes, you very well could have a bad ground. There are several grounds on the big plugs to the ECU - that is the 32 pin plug, the 26 pin plug, and the other one (I forget how many pins.) Look for the black wires. Trace those to the appropriate pin and make sure each one is clean and tight.

Yes the impellers were changed, had a full service done, and additionally had the o2 's cleaned, IAC 's and throttle bodies cleaned, I just reviewed the bill ($4k worth) and there is no notation of the sensors that I provided for that engine being replaced.
At the moment I cant get the shop owner on the phone to discuss

Just spoke to the mechanic, no they did not change the oil and water senders which I got by courier at great expense so it could be done while they were servicing the engines. Tried to give me some song and dance that someone must have tested them and found they were ok.
My reply? "I got new ones and instructed you to change them, not test the old ones" And this is the best of the best on the island, amazing aint it?

I have a nephew who lives In Abaco, and has his own repair business, factory trained and very good, probably be cheaper and less frustrating to fly him down for 2 days to do the service, or take the boat to him, (200 mile round trip), these guys had me hauled for 2 weeks, and that bill is yet to come, gggrrrrrrrrr!!!!

one more point of clarifiaction, when this issue occures, if i shut down, and restart without clearing the fault, she will rev to 3200 with no issues, if I go to 3300, bam! alarm goes off.

Last edited:
Back