Logo

1986 Johnson VRO 60hp won't start

Dognation

Hi I'm looking for some help on my 1986 Johnson 60hp. Took it out last weekend drove maybe 10 min and stopped to fish and then it wouldn't crank. It turned over but would not fire now I have it hooked up to muffs and I replaced the power pack, rectifier, and cranking battery. I replaced the cranking battery today because I hooked up my trolling battery and it cranked and ran multiple times so I hooked up the new battery and nothing. Frustrated I hooked the trolling motor back up and still nothing. Started checking spark for the hundredth time and pulled the bottom plug and it fired right up. I am at a loss on what to do and any help would be appreciated.

Did it crank with new battery? maybe corrosion where cable enters battery terminal? the fact it played up after changing might indicate something in this area... but might also just be a coincidence.

Bad cable/s, bad starter(dragging) bad solenoid(high internal resistance) battery problems......its not turning fast enough to generate spark.

Thanks. FYI model AJ60TLCDS. Compression was #1 = 140, #2 = 130, #3 = 130. Spark good. Pulled carbies off removed bowl cleaned needle n seat. Re-installed and now runs... Thanks for everyones input.

Back