Logo

BF150 Fuel Pump Issue ?

ProlineDave

My 2004 Hondas have run great, but port started cutting out (surging) two days ago. It ran a little after that then dropped out completely. Now just turns over, but no start.

Seemed like fuel starving so I changed the Racor filters, and found that the brass barb fitting on Port supply had completely rotted off.

I repaired the broken port fuel line that but now the engine still won't start. Maybe the fuel pump died from being run dry???

Any one think I should just order a fuel pump and replace ?

Another reason I think fuel pump: I noticed that when shut off the Stbd (good) engine there is a humming for about 30 seconds then a click and humming stops. But Port does not do this. Is that the fuel pump?

I took the boat out on the stbd (good) engine today. The stbd engine started doing the same thing as port and won't run and now. I am thinking its a fuel line/fitting leak. Both primer balls don't seem to be pulling any fuel either.

Also the port engine (original problem) started and ran for a few minutes.

Thinking I should just change the other three fittings on the Racors and all the fuel lines to the engine??

Yes...it sounds like you need to redo your fuel system to the engines. Being 2004's....I hope you have changed the high and low pressure fuel filters on the engines during that time. If not, they are well overdue changing.

Once you get it all set up....before you connect the hose to the engine, squeeze the fuel bulbs and make sure that there is good flow out of the end of the fuel line.

Mike

Maybe before changing those out, you might want to check to make sure that your vent to your fuel tank is clear. Run a long piece of monofiliment (say from a string cleaner) all the way down the vent tube into the fuel tank. Also, remove the fuel pickup tube from your fuel tank and inspect it for obstructions or holes. The pull off the flexible fuel line from the pickup tube and make sure there is no obstruction there. Blow air through the pickup tube to make sure it is clear.

Much Thanks for your response Mike! Yes, replaced all the little filters (and the internal anodes) 2 or 3 years ago. Think I'll do them again as long as I'm running through the entire fuel system.

Appreciate the comment on the vent too. My fuel gauge stopped working about a month ago. So I have been filling the tank, which I never did before. Maybe some crud floated up into it.

Really appreciate the time you knowledgeable guys spend on this site! Not the first time you have helped me. You're GREAT!

Won't get back to the boat for a month or so but will follow up and let you know how it goes.

dave

Problem Solved !!!

I was finally able to get back to my boat. Showed up with two OEM Honda fuel lines with primer balls and replaced all the brass fittings on the two racor filters. Brass fittings broke off from only he pressure of cutting lines they were so rotted.

Took many squeezesof the primer, but eventually primed lines and have been running all week with no issues.

Much thanks to members for your help !!!

Back