Logo

2006 50 HP 4 stroke EFI Mercury charging issues

EddieS

Using boat while travel for approximately 1 hr of boat time my new battery dies and kills the motor. After this occurred I recharged this new battery. I fired up the boat and tested the battery with a volt meter while traveling on water at a fast rate, my battery voltage starts out at 12.40 volts at the dock but during this travel time of approximately 20 minutes my battery is now at 11.16 volts. Eventually, I would think I would be left stranded as I did my first "go around". I made it back to the dock. Can anyone tell me what my problem is/are with the above symptoms? I actually don't know if I have within the motor cowl an Alternator, voltage regulator and/or a rectifier. Please help

you're getting no charging voltage to battery. should be seeing about 14.5 VDC with engine operating. I dont know what your charging source is. I have a 2009 75efi that is having a odd electrical problem. I am seeing 14.4 volts on the system when running, but the battery is losing voltage in operation. not sure if alaternator is not capable of supplying enough juice to support motor operation and the battery is draining down, or what. the battery was replaced in may and has been good until this week. after about 1.5 hour running, battery wouldnt turn starter over. gave it a quick shore charge and it fired off. strange to me

I am interested in how you went with this. I am in the same situation, and i am in a small town in Western Australia. At home I charged my battery to 12.8. Motor started fine. Engine running at 2000 rmp and the meter reads 12.4. Turn on all the electrics and the meter reading drops to 12.2 and does not increase when i turn everything off. I returned to the ramp. Fishing blown for the day and until i can fix this. How do i test to see where is my problem?
i put a meter on my running engine and get
Using boat while travel for approximately 1 hr of boat time my new battery dies and kills the motor. After this occurred I recharged this new battery. I fired up the boat and tested the battery with a volt meter while traveling on water at a fast rate, my battery voltage starts out at 12.40 volts at the dock but during this travel time of approximately 20 minutes my battery is now at 11.16 volts. Eventually, I would think I would be left stranded as I did my first "go around". I made it back to the dock. Can anyone tell me what my problem is/are with the above symptoms? I actually don't know if I have within the motor cowl an Alternator, voltage regulator and/or a rectifier. Please help

I am interested in how you went with this. I am in the same situation, and i am in a small town in Western Australia. At home I charged my battery to 12.8. Motor started fine. Engine running at 2000 rmp and the meter reads 12.4. Turn on all the electrics and the meter reading drops to 12.2 and does not increase when i turn everything off. I returned to the ramp. Fishing blown for the day and until i can fix this. How do i test to see where is my problem?
i put a meter on my running engine and get

with engine running,there should be 14 volts or so on batt . sounds like you have no alternator output at all, look at all connections. on mine, I found a rusty lug on the + cable to battery. I don't know how to test alternator. good luck mate!

Thanks for the responses. After posting i went back to the outboard and looked for a fuse. Found a fuse that. Omes of of a junction bok below the charging . Burn 25 amp fuse! I will launch this morning and see if i am getting the 14 or so volts. Thanks for your suggestions.

Back