Logo

1998 Johnson 225 Ocean Runner Intermittent Trim

OMCNUT

Trying to help a friend out with his boat and I know outboards quite well but we all get stumped so here goes!

The engine is a 1998 Johnson Ocean Runner 225 HP Model: J225TXECS that has intermittent trim operation. I tried to go direct from a spare battery to the motor and got nothing so while the boat was out I replaced the trim motor. Upon removal, I found the wires were routed under the lower cowling incorrectly causing a slight "Kink" but all wires checked out with the meter. We have checked both switches which are working and the solenoids are also clicking away when you click the button (tried switching them but got nothing). My question is could there be a bad wire somewhere? I already found 1 bad connector which I already took care of but it has me wondering if there are more (of the ones I checked on that side there were no others).

The last time I got it to move was when I had my hand on the button (didn't hold long to keep wire from cooking) and lifting on the lower unit to pull on the ram, then it started to slowly go and gain speed till you let go of the button, then back to square one, nothing. This was with the original trim motor, I haven't had anything from the new one (BRP replacement, not aftermarket).

Just looking for more ideas/thoughts on this matter. All replies are greatly appreciated, thanks!

To eliminate any guess work and have a starting point......................

Go back to the PTT motor you say you replaced, disconnect its wiring at its connector. Run jumper wires directly from the battery to the PTT motor..... Does the PTT run in both directions?

To eliminate any guess work and have a starting point......................

Go back to the PTT motor you say you replaced, disconnect its wiring at its connector. Run jumper wires directly from the battery to the PTT motor..... Does the PTT run in both directions?

I will have to check into it over the weekend when I'm back down. It's a little trickier now with the boat back in the water but I'll manage. Will update, was just looking for ideas at this point.

Back