Logo

Battery Advice?

stevemiller333

Contributing Member
I have a 340 in a 18 ft century runabout. I have a single battery setup.

I was using a deep cycle die hard platinum series marine battery, cranked very slowly, but it worked.

The voltage regulator went on my last outing and I almost blew up the battery from over charging.

So I am now going to buy a new one and was wondering if anyone might have a suggestions.

Thanks in advance. I would like it to crank faster if possible. I don't use electric accessories very much so I don't know if the deep cycle is

necessary.

Do a voltage drop test from battery to starter before spending $$$$.You said starter was spinning slowly,check battery connections,cables for corrosion.internal corrosion can occur that cant be detected by continuity check with ohm meter reason for voltage drop test.Starter could be bad.high torque are available .

Last edited:
Strongly recommend installing a second battery along with a Perko switch. And use normal cycle batteries.

Jeff

I have been using Walmart car batteries for about 20 years and buying 60 month with 700+ Cold Cranking Amps (CCA). Mine are over-sized by choice. The 340 ci probably only needs 525 CCA (72 Dodge Duster with 340 ci). I have a Perko switch on the ski boat (440 ci) with battery maintainer 0.5 amp (had the Perko switch several years before the maintainer) and I use the same type of batteries on the big boat (twin 340's) with a maintainer and no Perko switch. The ski boat is trailered. I don't use electronics when the engine is off.

A deep-cycle battery is designed to be regularly deeply discharged using most of its capacity (trolling motor or fishing lights). In contrast, starter batteries (e.g. most automotive batteries) are designed to deliver short, high-current bursts for cranking the engine, thus frequently discharging only a small part of their capacity.

I hope some of this is helpful to your question about what size battery. If not, please disregard.

-Jeff G

A bad starter can draw alot of amps never fully recovering during a normal outing overworking the charging system. Old wires will also have the same effect on the charging system. New battery cables and adding a ground direct from the alternator housing to battery neg post on the battery help to keep the battery in a fully charged state increasing the life of the battery and charging system. Keep the belts tight and replace yearly if necessary. The less you run the motor the more maintenance is required.

Back