Logo

OMC Cobra rattle from prop area

decker307

Hello all,

I have a 1991 Four Winns with the 4.3 V6. The motor has 102 original hours on it and runs like a top. It has an OMC outdrive that has developed a strange sound.

While out on the water over the 4th, I noticed a rattle that got worse the further up I trimmed it. I couldn't hear the rattle when the prop was below the water line. If its trimmed all the way up, and the engine is at idle, the noise isn't present. It only rattles when I throttle up a bit.

I took it out of the water and brought the boat home. I hooked it up to the muffs and the rattle becomes noticeable when trimmed up about half way. The further I trim it up, the louder the rattle. It seems to be coming from the prop area. I also noticed it rattle slightly when I turn the wheel all the way to one side.

I pulled the drive off and the U-joints seem to be tight. The gimbal bearing is smooth as can be. That was replaced last year.

I did notice where the caps on the U-joint were making contact with the inside of the yolk if I held the shaft all the way up or all the way down. The metal on the yolk was shiny where it was rubbing. I am not sure if this is the problem as the yolk and U-joints turn together.

I did pull the prop off to check for fishing line caught in it. I didnt see anything of concern.

Does anyone have any other ideas on what might be causing this rattle? I appreciate any and all input. Thanks,

Matt

Back