Logo

B100S Lower Unit/ Water Pump/ Extension case questions

Hi,

I just purchased a couple of mid 1980's B100S motors, I posted some photos here. http://www.marineengine.com/boat-fo...da-Value-(looking-to-buy)&p=543841#post543841

I took the lower unit off the one motor last night. Found the impeller housing damaged near the water tube and the cover is broken.

On the water pump shaft my Honda repair manual shows a "needle bearing below the ball bearing. Is there a needle bearing there?

On the shift rod there is seal holder, is this supposed to slide on the shift rod? I assume it is supposed to but this one is stuck.

I want to remove the extension case to change the seal on the water tube. I read my manual but it is vague on how the extension case is removed. Do I just remove the swivel bracket and the 4 screws holding the extension case?

Sorry for all the rookie questions, learning as I go along here!!

Thank you

John

I figured out the shift rod seal question. Do I just pick that seal out to replace it since the brass part will not slide off due to the bend in the shift rod?

I removed the extension case as well!

Thanks

John

The slide comes off the shift shaft.....you have to drive out the pin (that is sticking out - part way down the shaft) and the pin holder the lower piece onto the shaft with a punch.

All that is much easier to do, if you would have disconnected the shift shaft at the top of the engine. It is a pain to do, but in the long run...given what you have to do....will make life much easier.

As for the water tube seal.. If you are referring to the grommet at the top of the water tube.....I think you have to remove the powerhead to get to it. I am not sure on that....I do not have access to my shop manual. Hopefully, someone who has recently done it will jump in.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply! I did remove the extension case and the upper water tube seal is there.

I have the shift rod disconnected up top so I will remove it completely to take those pins out, thank you for that info!

Is the a suitable match for the Blue paint on the lower parts?

On the water seal, bearing and needle bearing below the water pump impeller, are they easy to remove?

I purchased another one last night (I have 10Hp Honda fever!), this one looks awesome. I will post some photos later on the other thread I started.

Thanks!

John

How did you remove the extension case?
Was it the way you thought. the bracket and 4 screws?

I got the fever as well. I picked up another 7.5 for parts but it runs so well I'm keeping it whole.

Back