Logo

Stern Drive starter help.

LX Kid

Regular Contributor
Have a '82 Grady stern drive with 305 V8. The starter seems to be dragging quite a bit and want to replace it. Takes both my batteries to get it to spin well. Seems there is a LH and RH spin for this year depending on weather the cam is driven by a chain or gears. If you know about old Grady's the starter is "buried" down below the starboard side exhaust manifold and power steering cooler. Trying to reduce down time by getting the correct starer without tearing it down just to find out which starter I have. Is there a way to tell if it's a RH or LH spin without tearing everything down and then ordering? Thanks

If you've already cleaned the connections at BOTH Ends of the wires to the Starter, then it could be time to replace.

Only replace with Marine Starter ( for spark protection )..

Ayuh,.... Chevy marine starters, like the car starters come in only 2 flavors,....

The straight across bolt pattern, 'n the staggered bolt pattern,....

Feel under the motor to see which pattern ya got, 'n get another copy of the same,....

Ayuh,.... Chevy marine starters, like the car starters come in only 2 flavors,....
The straight across bolt pattern, 'n the staggered bolt pattern,....
Feel under the motor to see which pattern ya got, 'n get another copy of the same,....

Either way I have to pull it off. If I have time this morning I'll go ahead and remove the starter and get one on order. Only takes about two days to get here. Have to work on the tilt/trim pump anyway so I have the time to wait. I just wish I had never seen this old Grady. Since I bought her in 2008, and knowing nothing about boats, I've "sunk" $20K in it and it's only worth probably around $7K and will I still have to replace the transom this fall.

Back