Logo

1987 bayliner 2.3 omc help

cds11

Contributing Member
went boating today was running along fine then it started getting slower and slower until it was just barely pulling itself. I could tell that it lost a cylinder the way it was running. got it home and checked the plugs and they looked fine. did a compression check and the front 2 cylinders were fine but the rear two on had 25 psi. pulled the valve cover and air checked the two bad cylinders and both have bent exhaust valves. has anybody ever had this happen? if yes then what all did you end up doing? I don't know how it could have bent the valves out of the blue like that? like I said it was running fine. had good oil pressure and the tem was running fine. I dot want to pull the head and have the valves fixed if theres more problems. it is an older boat but still in good shape. all help and suggestions appreciated.

has anybody ever had this happen? if yes then what all did you end up doing? I don't know how it could have bent the valves out of the blue like that? like I said it was running fine.

Ayuh,.... My guess is, ya got a fuel delivery issue, that caused detonation, that overheated the exhaust valves,.....

well I just got the head pulled and it has a blown head gasket right between number 3 and 4 cylinders. valves look fine. any ideas of what could cause it? I'm going to have the head resurfaced. can I use gaskets and head bolts from auto parts stores for a regular ford auto 2.3?

Engine was running very lean,not enough fuel. Was engine running warmer than usual, overheated.read post #2 again.

thx for the info guys. got t back together today but no spark. it ran before i tore it down. didn't bother anything to do with spark. any ideas?

I thought it had bent valves before I pulled the head. after I got the head pulled I could see that it had a blown head gasket instead of bent valves.

got it figured out, points contacts got corroded from having the cap off for a few weeks. cleaned them up and she runs like a champ after the head gasket replacement. taking it out on the water this Saturday.

Back