Logo

85 HP Evinrude NO SPARK

GaryOutland

Contributing Member
1975 MODEL

I am getting NO spark from any coil. I do not have the fancy tester. I am using an induction timing light to test for spark. I will search the forum, as well.
This is on the parts/replacement motor that I bought to replace/repair the previous engine that I posted about previously. The first test I performed was compression, 112, 115, 115,119!!
I replaced a bad rectifier, old one had no resistance, either way i tested.
Thanks in advance,
Gary

Last edited:
First diagnostic step is to disconnect the black with yellow stripe wire coming from power pack, and see if you now have spark. If you do, the problem is in the kill circuit. If no spark, it gets a bit more involved. However, is it cranking fast enough? They will not spark if cranking too slowly. Check it with all plugs out (cranks faster that way) Perhaps that is really the first test.

Did that .plugs are out.spinning really good. New power pack., 1 new coil. Still no spark.
I followed directions in service manual. Proper ohm resistance in charge and sensor coils.
I also tried with and without rectifier and black/yellow wire. The instructions that came with new power pack suggested using meter which I don't have yet.

Last edited:
Sounds like you have already covered all the bases. Not much more to say except you have come to the time that you will need to use the DVA.

Look closely to see if possibly the extreme forward or rear portion of the stator under the flywheel is melting down, possibly dripping a sticky looking substance down upon the powerhead. If this situation exists, a AC voltage drop to the powerpack's capacitor would exist, resulting in weak, erratic, and eventually no ignition.

Thanks fdrgator. Joereeves, I did not see anything like you described. As you know my original engine has good spark. Is it worthwhile to swap stator from motor with bad pistons to this motor, or should I spend money on a new one?

I like to cover my ass. My wife wants a boat in the water this week, vacation, so we can go fishing . I bought a 1981 70hp Johnson, that is supposed to be good. It has 140,130,140 compression. I cleaned carb bowls, it fired right up. I will put it on the boat tomorrow and see how it does.

Question 2. The 1975 85hp has no "piss tube" showing that water pump is working. The 74-75 Johnson has it. I read the manual for the Evinrude and I see that it is not necessary, other than as a visual means of making sure that engine is not overheating. Is it necessary?

Question 3. Am I correct on assuming that when using the dva meter, I will be cranking the engine to see if the stator is producing proper voltage?
I am not giving up on 85hp. I have a pontoon boat/floating dock that can use a motor!

Last edited:
Joe, the engine with no spark has no gooey drippings. The engine with good spark has gooey drippings.

Stators, when they first start to melt down or even after a unknown period of time (It varies) will function normally when cold BUT after a period of run time and they become hot, they will omit weak, erratic, and eventually no ignition. Bottom line is not to use any stator that is melting down.

The stator that appears good.... that engine comes across to me as one whose powerpack has failed. When I was a working man, I'd simply install a new powerpack as a test unit and was never disappointed. HINT... I found that it was a good idea to have a spare powerpack in my small on board tool kit and the tools to change it... so should you decide to purchase one and not need it right now, it's not a total loss as you'll need it someday.

Do the following test as it is one problem that is a real powerpack killer.

Voltage To Powerpack Failures
(Magneto Capacitance Discharge Systems)
(J. Reeves)

The usual cause of having those type powerpacks fail repeatedly is having a very small of voltage applied to the Black/Yellow wire (Kill Circuit) at the pack. Test as follows.
Disconnect the Black/Yellow wire at the powerpack.

Insert either a ampere meter or a volt meter set to its lowest DC voltage reading between that Black Yellow wire and ground.

With the ignition key in the OFF position, observe the meter reading. Now turn the ignition key to the ON position and again observe the meter reading.

Any reading, movement of the meter needle, even a microvolt, would indicate that battery voltage is being applied to that Black/Yellow wire. If a reading is present, remove the other end of that Black/Yellow from the raised terminal of the ignition switch.

If the reading ceases to exist when the Black/Yellow wire is removed from the ignition switch, replace the switch. If the reading continues to exist, there would be a short of some kind in either the engine or instrument wiring harness.... to determine which, simply unplug the large RED electrical plug at the engine which would eliminate the instrument cable.

Note that the black/yellow wire must not have any other wire attached to it for the following reason!

Keep in mind that any accessory that has 12 volts running to it, especially when turned on, will have voltage flowing thru it and trailering out thru its black ground wire to complete the circuit. If that accessory has it's black ground wire attached to the "M" terminal that the black/yellow wire is attached to.... you will have voltage flowing directly to the powerpack.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay auction at:

http://shop.ebay.com/Joe_OMC32/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Do you have stator and or timer base? 1975 85hp.a re the charge coil and sensor coil both on the stator? I checked the. Both according to service manual , 630 ohms charge coil, 10 ohms sensor coil. Both seem to check out fine.

The power pack on my original engine. The engine had good spark and would run. One bank has low compression. All pistons are shot.
The "new" engine with no spark has brand new CDI power pack.
I am told a dva meter is the best way to test stator and pack. Do you have another way to test without dva meter?

Back