Logo

1987 wellcraft 190 engine question..

SLACK

I have a 1987 wellcraft 190 classic it has the 3.7L 165hp with alpha one outdrive, I am trying to find the 4 barrel intake and carb and anything else needed to do the conversion, any help is appreciated.

Hi SLACK, Try EBay. If it runs well, maybe leave it alone. Given it's age and history on that motor. I have alternator conversion kits for it, but no intake and carb.

Hi SLACK, Try EBay. If it runs well, maybe leave it alone. Given it's age and history on that motor. I have alternator conversion kits for it, but no intake and carb.

already has alternator conversion done with brand new alt. just looking for a lil more power. and engine runs like new.

Yea, and it's a better choice. Just need to see what has to be done on your stringers for mounting, will they be modified in some way. The 3.7 won't last if beaten and adding power would not be good for that engine IMO.

Yea, and it's a better choice. Just need to see what has to be done on your stringers for mounting, will they be modified in some way. The 3.7 won't last if beaten and adding power would not be good for that engine IMO.

define "beaten"

Those engines have issues with mating head to block after overheat as well as front seal that will allow antifreeze to mix with oil after time. I've had a few, and if I had another I would just run it as is and not run it hard. Some mercruisers can take running hard, Not this one. Keep up with maintenance. JMO

Agreed. Two more barrels will ONLY provide more power at full throttle--which is not the place to be for long with these motors.

Jeff

Agreed. Two more barrels will ONLY provide more power at full throttle--which is not the place to be for long with these motors.

Jeff

ok thanks for advice.. it runs like brand new so i wanna keep it running that way for as long as possible so ill leave it alone. how long is to long at wot? i usually only come out of the hole at wot and back off when mph stop moving wot seems to be a little over 4200rpm ill say between 4200-4400 i rarely leave it there long. i usually back off to right before 4000rpms and it cruises between 38-40mph

Sounds like the boat is reaching WOT spec. That's great. The smallest boat I ran one in was a 20' step V( Wellcraft). Maybe close in weight to your boat, That's a comfort question. My boats are for fishing and the waters I travel get rough. On flat days I ran 30mph, it could do much more. I'd also if I wasn't sure, trim motor out to make sure all was well WOT throttle wise. I'd have fun at times, maybe run WOT last mile to the inlet. And of course, the grandkids always want to go faster. LOL. I say enjoy your boat and have fun within reason. I know a lot about these and can fix them as well, but who wants to spend time and money when it can be avoided. Have fun and enjoy your boat. Keep up with maintenance. Good luck.

Sounds like the boat is reaching WOT spec. That's great. The smallest boat I ran one in was a 20' step V( Wellcraft). Maybe close in weight to your boat, That's a comfort question. My boats are for fishing and the waters I travel get rough. On flat days I ran 30mph, it could do much more. I'd also if I wasn't sure, trim motor out to make sure all was well WOT throttle wise. I'd have fun at times, maybe run WOT last mile to the inlet. And of course, the grandkids always want to go faster. LOL. I say enjoy your boat and have fun within reason. I know a lot about these and can fix them as well, but who wants to spend time and money when it can be avoided. Have fun and enjoy your boat. Keep up with maintenance. Good luck.

what would you say the best oil/filter to use is? im going to change the oil this weekend.

I used the Sierra brand, 18-7824 or the longer 18-7824-1. If you have room for longer filter. Fram # is PH-30, ITS CHEAP IN MORE WAYS THEN ONE. AC/DELCO is PF-25, its a longer filter as well. Oil is straight 30 weight. I used Mercruiser oil 25/50 because I had plenty. Ues straight 30 weight oil and cross reverence fram PH-30 filter for better quality filter.

Back