Logo

1971 9.5hp Evinrude

huskydave

I have to replace the clutch dog on 1971 9.5 OMC that was slipping of gear.

I have some questions:

1. The lower unit Gearcase had small rubber seals around the screws that thread in from the bottom, I looked at the parts breakdown and cannot locate the part #

2. Does any aftermarket supplier sell clutch dogs for this motor.

3. I need an low speed mixture screw knob can you still get those from Dealer?

4. The choke lever bounces back and forth quite a bit does that mean I need new engine mounts?

I was given this motor as payment for some work I did for a friend. I have replaced plugs, new tank, fuel hose, new fuel lines, new fuel pump, new impeller carb clean.

Background on me: very mechanically inclined (Machinist)

1. I don't know who put rubber seals in there, but it sure as hang wasn't Evinrude.

2. Not that I know of.

3. Maybe, I haven't checked

4. Some slack was built in the choke to allow for engine movement. Grab hold of the flywheel (not running, duh), and see if you can move it fore and aft. Some rubbery movement is normal, slopping around loose in there is not.

The clutch dog is rounded off both sides, forward gear is worn where the cutch dog has been slipping. The propshaft is worn where gearcase head sits. The brass bushings are worn for both gears. The mixture adjustment knob I need is star shaped and pressed on a 1/8" knured shaft, seems like most 9.5hps are missing it. I will try to source another motor/ lower unit for parts. The last guy used silicone on those screws and around the gearcase halves. I don't work on outboards vey often, thank you for the help.

Last edited:
Back