Logo

To Glue or Not To Glue?

Bennylt

My flywheel. I have fount it impossible to find a new flywheel for this engine.

I pulled mine and found the damage isn't "too" bad.

Both magnets were unglued, but only one was broken.

I can see the marks from where they were so I'll obviously be able to re-glue the unbroken one. it is the broken one I'm wondering about.

Actually I AM going to glue it and see if the engine will run. no replacement flywheels available right now so I'm left without options.

My question is, how much to glue back together? do I try to piece all the shards back into the magnet. i researched and they should fit together and make a somewhat weaker, but complete magnet. But what if I just glue back in the biggest piece by itself.

A. Will it throw off the balance of the flywheel too much?

B. Will it hurt trigger timing too much?

C. These magnets are such simple things and they resemble so many others... I have seen tons of those OMC "Looper" replacement magnets available. I wonder.... if they aren't too different in size so as to interfere with the stator or trigger, I wonder if I could just replace both of mine with a couple of the looper magnets and have it work.

From what I can tell they are just standard bi-polar bar magnets. NN at one end and SS at the other. nothing fancy.

Throw it out and buy a good used one (off Ebay). Imagine what damage that hunk could do if it came flying off ant 6 grand!

Jeff

Back