Logo

Help with carburetor

CLBirkett

Hi my name is Charlie, I live in England, my son has a 1984 Evinrude 9.9 two stroke outboard, it needs a carburetor, we cannot locate one in England, I wonder if any other carb can be used instead, we are getting desperate, any help would be greatly appreciated.

I remember having two of them (used) in my remaining stock (retired in 1991) but may have removed various portions of them through the years. However, if you do not manage to find what you need, contact me at [email protected] (Central West Florida, USA) and I will go through the two I have, clean one thoroughly and rebuild/restore it to new condition. What price range did you have in mind that would be reasonable to you?

Did you look on ebay a bunch of them there. Stay away from the ones with the plastic tops they are for the newer models and more problematic.

Any other trouble shooting done on this motor ?---------What is the motor doing / not doing ?-----------Rarely does a carburetor need to be replaced !

Hi Charlie, I also live in England on the Isle of Wight, What is wrong with the carb you have?? will it just not start your engine? is your engine electric start? if it is then it may not be your carb that is the problem. please let me know and I will advise you. Parts for a rebuild kit are available here in the UK if you know where to look but they are not always advertised you have to shop around. Please let me know the answer to my questions and I will try to help.
regards Eric

There'ya go Charlie! Straight help from a fellow countryman.

However, we'll be lurking here in the background just in case.

Also.... very unlikely is there a case where one needs to replace a carburetor, complete rebuilt kits are always available and the carburetors are very simple to clean and understand. I simply assumed originally in a earlier reply that the carburetor had become damaged or lost somehow.

Are there two rubber pipe connectors on the bottom left where the fuel goes in? if there is, then you have an electric primer which is operated when you push the key switch in after using the primer ball on the fuel line from the tank. In this case you should hear a click inside the engine when the key is pushed in, it opens the solenoid to release fuel into the carb, it behaves a little like a choke. If you do not hear a click then there may be a fault either with the key switch or the solenoid or even your electrical system.
Is there one rubber pipe going into the carb from the fuel supply? if this is the case then you have a manual choke. There are basically two or three problems associated with these carbs. Float settings, rich/lean mixing screw and blocked passageways. First, take the carb off the engine leaving the fuel line connected, prime up the ball and listen to hear if the float bowl is filling up, check to see whether any fuel is leaking from the carb. This checks the cut off valve in the float chamber. If petrol is leaking through then the base of the carb will have to be removed and the valve and float need to be checked and reset.
The biggest problem with these carbs is the rich/lean mixing screw, they changed the tread size of the screw so instead of unscrewing the screw 1.1/2 turns (rough Guide) it had to be unscrewed about 4.1/2 turns but first unscrew the valve out completely and check the point on the end, even with a magnifier to look for any damage, if there is damage you will have to replace it. while it is out blow air through the hole. Screw the valve right in until it stops then unscrew it 1.1/2 turns. Poor fuel that gets past the filter or fuel that has been left in in the carb for ages goes murky and the oil in the 2 stroke congeals, this can be cured by a good carb cleaner forced through the valves.
On top of the carb (when you dismantle it) there is a little black rubber ring that rolls on the accelerator mechanism, check this to see if there is a flat spot or groove. This causes huge problems. I replaced mine with a small piece of the orange gas tube you get on BBQ's, it fits perfect and is harder wearing.
If you have to take either the top or bottom off the carb be very careful when replacing them as they crack easily if over tightened..

Hope this helps a little Charlie. any questions just ask.
regards, Eric

Last edited:
Back