Logo

1956 Evinrude 2 stroke 30Hp starting isuues

Seth S

Hey guys, so a couple days ago i decided to restore a 60 year old evinrude boat engine. So after i checked the spark plug wires, and replaced the 2 spark plugs, changed the gas + oil, It seemed good to go. i hooked up a 12 volt battery after cleaning the connections. went to press the start button, but nothing happened. All i heard was a loud Click but nothing else. So after tampering with it for 10 minutes i decided to give it a different battery, still nothing but a loud click, so i decided to come here.

Tried to add images but it wouldnt let me so here is the link for the album of pictures

http://imgur.com/a/NAqjU

Thanks in advanced for any help i get!

You need to check some voltages. Begin with the voltage at the starter motor. The click is the starter solenoid, so we know it is ok up to that point. Next question is if the solenoid is passing voltage to the starter when it clicks. OR, if it is passing voltage to the starter, is the starter any good.
BTW, that motor is supposed to use a 6V battery, but that's ok. Lots of people are running them on 12V. On the other hand, excessive cranking time on 12V may have damaged the starter. It should start almost instantly, so excessive cranking is not necessary.

Back