Logo

318 reverse rotation cam

Eric Johnson

[FONT=&quot]Are there reverse rotation cams available? Is the rotation of the distributor backwards as well? The gear on the back of the cam that spins the intermediate shaft- is it cut in a reverse pattern or is it the same pattern as a regular small block?

Since I will be building motors I would love to be able to update both to magnums with the roller cam and need to know the answers to these questions to see if I can have a cam ground for my application.

I have build a lot of these small blocks and have even retrofitted an OBD1 magnum motor into an older vehicle. I think it would be cool to do the same with these boat motors. Has anyone tried this swap?

If I can't get the roller cam I want I will at least use some magnum style heads on the rebuilds to get a good quench motor.

[/FONT]

Are there reverse rotation cams available?

You might have to have one custom ground.

Is the rotation of the distributor backwards as well?

No. Both engine types turn the distributor (and oil pump) the same way.

The gear on the back of the cam that spins the intermediate shaft- is it cut in a reverse pattern or is it the same pattern as a regular small block?

Reversed gear pattern.

Jeff

..."Now if I can find a reverse rotation roller cam then I can upgrade to magnums."

Good luck there!

Jeff

Back