Logo

Tilt stern drive question

Christ

My 1985 OMC Stringer tilt won't cooperate.
I can't see any wires disconnected but flipping the switch gets no response.
The drive is in the down position making it impossible to tow for service and being an hour from a marina a costly challenge for a house call.
Any ides to try appreciated.

Chris

Most outboards have a manual release screw on side of motor.wide impact driver may be needed,then pull up manually and lock

Thank you johnnygir but it's a stern drive not an outboard. It is my old clunker 1985 OMC 3 L that requires care to keep purring.

in an emergency, just take a 9/16" wrench and take the 3 bolts and the quadrant gear off. lift the drive and reinstall the gear to trailer it.

As far as getting the tilt motor working, if you're good with a test light or meter, you can check for power to the relays on the low current path from the tilt switch at the helm.
if that's fine the next step is cleaning all connections. start at the relays and remove ring terminals and file them shiny bolt sides and the terminals too. then go towards the battery and clean the connections there and at the spades at the motor. Then remove the two 50A barrel fuses and clean the fuses and insides of the holders with steel wool and then use di-electric grease to seal the holders. If a fuse is blown you can get one at a store that sells car audio (Even Crappy tire might have them in car stereo section)
then if no joy - you could have a bad relay - but both up and down wouldn't fail together

after all that, the tilt motor may be pooched. not fun to change. usually it's wiring though.

Last edited:
Back