Logo

Mid 1980's 10Hp Honda Value? (looking to buy)

Hi,

I am looking to buy a couple of spare 10hp (B100S) motors. They apparently both run but one is considered a "parts" motor.

What would be a good deal on buying them as far as price goes?

Thank you.

John

$ 200 / 300 for a running motor ( as is ) and $100 for a parts motor.-------Most " running " motors do require some work.

A "really clean" nicely running B100 will easily run you from $400 to $600 in my "hood" (San Diego/L.A. southern California) with MANY sellers asking for more. These are still very popular outboards out "this away"

Keep in mind that any outboard that still runs will have some of the parts on it that cannot be purchased new anymore and you know that they are good because it still runs! Thus, making it a bit more valuable than one that doesn't.

Good luck with your buy.

Update!

I bought the motors, I paid $450.00 for both motors.

The "running" one looks decent but needs some work. It needs lower unit seals, impeller and throttle/ carb work.

The "parts" one is rougher looking. They hit a rock with the "running" one and broke the propeller shaft holder and propeller. They took the lower unit off the "parts" motor and put on the "running" one. To make the "parts" motor into a operational motor it will need the following: Propeller shaft holder, seals and lower unit seals, shims and bearing, the click spring to locate the shift lever into position, impeller and handlebar/ throttle arm parts (grip pipe and grip pipe cover).

For the propeller shaft holder I am going to manufacture it since it seems they are not available, I am a machinist. So I will make a cad drawing of the part (from the other motor). Hopefully I can make the pipe grip tube as well, I have to look closer at it to make sure I can.

I started the "running" motor and the throttle arm (where the cable attaches) is hitting the gear shift part when in neutral and reverse, any ideas on this problem? Please see this photo.

Could somebody also let me know the years of these motors? Please see the attached photos.

Thank you in advance for any help!!!

John

The b100s -1600.... is 1984, the other is a 1985.

As for the question about the throttle stop.....it is probably operating correctly.

There is a limit on how much you can advance the throttle in neutral...so it does not overrev the engine.

Once you put it in gear (rotate the prop or run the engine when you put it into gear), the throttle should advance all the way to full throttle.

Mike

Congratulations on getting a pretty dang good deal (IMO) on your new (ty) "fleet"!
Looks like racerone has a firm grasp on the B100 market in your area. He called the price pertnear dead on.

Heed closely Mr. hondadude's advice about turning the prop while shifting the transmission with the motor not running. What I refer to as "dry" shifting. The transmission requires rotation of the clutch so that the "dogs" or clutch teeth don't get jammed and bind on each other causing you to force the trans into gear. If you rotate the prop shadt while selecting gears, the trans should easily find it's way into gear with just light pressure on the gear select handle. Doing it this way avoids the possibility of bending or breaking shift linkage components.

Good luck with your new "BABIES"......LOTS O FUN!

Well I officially have 10Hp Honda fever!! LOL

Purchased another one last night. This one looks awesome, the paint on the prop looks untouched.

Serial # B100S-1602938. 1984?

I have started a "help" thread for the repairs to the other motors I purchased, thank you to everyone that is helping me as I learn how to repair these motors!

Hi all. New here. Hockyguy, I've got another for you. I'm at the north end of CA, not far from Bookings ORE. You ever venture north? The knocking noise and the engine oil turning sort of babbit silver in just a few minutes have me concerned! Pretty clean looken though. Long shaft, just fits a 55 gal drum.

After I change the oil and run it again to get a short video, I'll start a new thread for ideas on what the noise might be.

Attachments

• 100_6393.jpg
    100_6393.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 100_6394.jpg
    100_6394.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 59
  • 100_6398.jpg
    100_6398.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 43
  • 100_6399.jpg
    100_6399.jpg