Logo

1989 Johnson 25 HP Outboard - What is this part and what does it do?

n4cer26

Hi,

I'm new here and appreciate any info I can get. I removed the carb from my motor to clean it today. There is a black plastic cylinder that is mounted to the side of the carb by a small bracket. It looks like a solenoid of some kind. It has a red plastic piece on it that rotates 360 degrees and a nipple on the bottom that appears as though it should have a hose attached to it. Can anyone tell me what this thing is / does and what the red piece does (is there a correct position?). Also, should there be a hose hooked up to that nipple? If so, what hose and from where? I have included a couple of photos. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 20160628_211003.jpg
    20160628_211003.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 334
  • 20160628_211031.jpg
    20160628_211031.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 233
That unit is an electrically operated valve.------------It is plumbled in between the fuel pump and the carburetor.-------------It replaces the choke flapper of days gone by.---------------When you are cranking the motor over you push in the key.--------This unit then sprays fuel into the motor for near instant starting.----------The red lever is there to manually open this valve should you have a dead battery.

That unit is an electrically operated valve.------------It is plumbled in between the fuel pump and the carburetor.-------------It replaces the choke flapper of days gone by.---------------When you are cranking the motor over you push in the key.--------This unit then sprays fuel into the motor for near instant starting.----------The red lever is there to manually open this valve should you have a dead battery.

So there should be a fuel line hooked up to that nipple on the bottom then? If so it makes perfect sense because the engine won't start when it's cold without starting fluid.

The bigger nipple should get fuel from a T in the line to the carburetor.---------2 wee nipples should have hoses to spray fuel into the motor.

That is correct,There should be a line going in&out,In one position it will flow freely,in other it will click when key is pushed in ,thus shooting fuel into engine to enrich fuel mixture for cold starts.

Yes very common on them to break off.--------Replacement part is available.----No need to buy the complete new valve.

I was scratching my head trying to figure out where the gas would come out of the thing to go into the carb. Will have to take a better look because I didn't notice that there were two nappies broken off! Where would they connect on the carb once unit is replaced?

Thanks guys..... You have already been a lot of help!

(Fuel Primer Solenoid Function)
(J. Reeves)

The RED lever...... The normal operating/running position is to have that red lever positioned over top of the solenoid and aimed at the other end of the solenoid, gently turned to its stop. This is the normal/automatic mode position. Pushing the key in opens the valve within the solenoid allowing fuel to pa$$ thru it in order to prime and start the engine. Looking upon this solenoid as a electric choke results in a better understanding of it.

Having that red lever turned in the opposite direction, facing away from the solenoid, allows fuel to flow thru it to the crankcase area. One would only turn the red lever to this position in a case where the battery might go dead and the engine had to be started via the rope pull method. Look upon putting the red lever in this position as moving a choke lever on a choke equipped engine to the full closed position. Either one would supply fuel to the crankcase/engine for starting purposes BUT if left in that position while running would flood the engine.

The later model primer solenoids are equipped with a schrader valve, used for attaching a pressurized can of fogging oil etc, available at your local dealership with complete instructions.

Pumping the fuel primer bulb up hard fills the carburetor float chambers of course, but that process also applies fuel pressure to the primer solenoid.

The two small hoses leading from the primer solenoid branch off via tees to each fuel manifold section that would feed fuel to the individual cylinders.

Pushing the key in activates the primer solenoid to allow fuel to flow thru it to the intake manifold pa$$ageways. Cranking the engine over causes the fuel pump to engage which in turn sends fuel pulses to the primer solenoid via the 3/8" fuel hose.

Some engines incorporates the "Fast Start" feature which automatically advances the spark electronically so no advance of the throttle is required for starting.
Engines that do not have the "Fast Start" feature will be required to have the throttle advanced slightly.

Starting procedure: pump fuel bulb up hard, crank engine and push the key in at the same time. When the engine fires/starts, release the key so that it falls back to the run position.

Bottom line..... Look upon the primer solenoid as an electric choke.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay auction at:

http://shop.ebay.com/Joe_OMC32/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Great information everyone....thanks very much!

Ok, so went to my local marine store and was able to get a new front piece with the two outlet nipples, gasket an red valve. I have included a photo of my carb. Where do these two hoses connect to the carb / engine to feed the fuel? If someone has a similar setup and could take a photo of the connections I would really appreciate it.

Attachments

• mycarb (1).jpg
    mycarb (1).jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 202
OK, replaced parts on the solenoid and figured out the attachments. I hear a clicking sound from the solenoid when I push the key in so that appears to be working. I will be testing it today after I get fresh gas in the tank.

Thanks everyone for lending me you're knowledge and taking the time to post!

Back