Logo

Fuel Pump Replacement for 1998 Honda BF40A

nate1584

I have a 1998 Honda BF40A and the previous owner had bypass the manual fuel pump and installed an electric fuel pump. The electric fuel pump is acting up and I want to go back with the manual fuel pump. I cannot tell by the diagram on how to install the lifter for the fuel pump, this is part #13 in the diagram on the cylinder head. I have purchase the new pump, o-ring, and lifter but am still not sure how the lifter is supposed to install. Any help on this would be appreciated.

I have had a look at the service manual 5-10 fuel pump assembly but there is no guide on how to install a new pump. So can't really help there as I have not done this myself. but by looking at the diagram it looks fairly 'plug & play' what part of the instillation is giving you trouble or are you unsure of?

I have had a look at the service manual 5-10 fuel pump assembly but there is no guide on how to install a new pump. So can't really help there as I have not done this myself. but by looking at the diagram it looks fairly 'plug & play' what part of the instillation is giving you trouble or are you unsure of?

Dean,

Thanks for the response. After I got the parts in I cannot tell how to install the part 13 the lifter fuel pump which is a small rod, per the diagram it appears that it goes right behind the plunger on the fuel pump and then into the lower side of the cylinder head. I have the new fuel pump and cannot see how this rod is going to install.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Outboard Engine/1998/BF40AW LRTA/CYLINDER HEAD/parts.html

The fuel pump lifter (#13) is installed from inside the head. If no one has had the head apart, it is probably already installed. You should be able to just install the pump and its o ring.

If you have to push the pump in and the plunger on the pump compresses some, then the lifter is there.

Mike

Thanks, I believe that the fuel pump lifter has already been removed. Hopefully this will not be to involved to put the new fuel pump lifter installed

If the fuel pump lifter is not there, then I think I know why the previous owner installed the electric pump...

When the head is reassembled, you have to install the fuel pump lifter before the cam shaft is installed. The lifter rides on the cam shaft. Someone probably had the head apart and forgot to put the lifter in it and did not want to take it back apart to put it in.

Tip the engine up a little and remove the valve cover. If you tip the engine up a little, you will minimize any oil loss. That will allow you to look at the cam shaft and see how it goes in. I do not remember if you can remove the cam shaft without removing the head. Once you look at it, you will probably know. You will have to remove the rocker arm assemblies first.

Mike

how about replacing electric pump,not highly recommended,wire it so it shuts off with engine,a lot less labor intensive.

Back