Logo

91 johnson 200 gt issues

joe.abela

hi there first time posting i bought a 91 johnson 200 gt with problems wont idle and won't go past 4500 rpm. after weeks of reading and testing im about to light it on fire lol so far i have new water pump installed also tested thermostats working good new primer solenoid (was leaking) new coils (2 tested bad replaced all) tested fuel system buy running off external tank with no change ran electric fuel pump with mixed gas incase vro was bad (don't remove vro just pluged oil line and ran pump before vro) compression is 90 in all cylinders except bottom 2 where 85 when i ran eletric pump it did see 5000 rpm brefly then back to same problem runs strong up to 4500 np - not idling. when i first got motor the left side had no spark (standing behind boat) unpluged bk/yellow wire under cdi spark came back (was told that was kill switch for that side of motor? every once and wile it surges like it wants to go higher rpm especially since electric pump was put in. not sure what to do next it is abit smokey off start but it is older 2 stroke so not sure if that normal i would bring to shop but everybody in my area says they dont work on them im sure im missing info you guys might need to help let me know ill make sure i get info you need
any help would be awesome as i feel ive tried all i know to do problem is hard to play with well riding as 4500 rpm =53 mph

A new o-ring usually fixes the leaks on the primer.-----Not sure why a new primer was needed ?-------Is the prop correct for the boat ?------------Looked into crankcase compression issues ?-----------Try running with timing light hooked up to see how spark behaves all the way to full throttle.---------Test each cylinder that way.

A new o-ring usually fixes the leaks on the primer.-----Not sure why a new primer was needed ?-------Is the prop correct for the boat ?------------Looked into crankcase compression issues ?-----------Try running with timing light hooked up to see how spark behaves all the way to full throttle.---------Test each cylinder that way.
Top lid was cracked same with noob prop I'm told was one they always used in boat it's a 27p13 1/4 4 blade shooter crank compression issues ? Other then tightening spark just hook tester off motor then go for ride what am I looking for exactly

Back