Logo

Rare find? J35XHLCR unknown model number 1984 35hp

Daveb948576

Hi all, new to the forum so I'll do my best with respect to stick to the rules,

I have recently acquired a Johnson outboard but it is a very odd one to say the least, the previous owner thought it may of been ex military but the model number is very odd

J35XHLCR

I can see that it is a Johnson 35 HP and long shaft and the year is 1984 but what is the XH stand for? It is not showing up on any of the parts list,

The exhaust system is very odd, it has two large tubes welded to the sides of the outboard, I took a video of it running today so here is a quick video of it on YouTube.

It was only running for a very short period to see if it worked but water was not flowing I know, I have now fitted a new impeller to it but what is this beastly looking thing? Any ideas?

https://youtu.be/77mKcJ4_16I

Dave.

Odd looking duck isn't it? I have no idea. That number does not show up in the lists for military or commercial models.

Seaway Marine in Lynnwood WA has the best books My guess is a X extra long shaft 25 inch the H comes up as hydraulic steering I doubt thats the case. I have seen that type of exhaust relief before maybe custom made for a large sailboat application to keep water from sloshing in in high seas?

Back