Logo

1969 Johnson 6hp Ignition questions

FishyBC

Contributing Member
I had one of these sitting under my bench so I thought I'd take a crack at it.
I replaced the coils, the condensers and the points. Tonight I'll try to get the points and get it so it's sparking at the right time.
I have never done this and also replaced the spark plug wires. Do they need to be a specific length ? I've been searching and can't find anything explaining replacement. I am using bulk 7mm solid core wire. It is stranded but a very small strand in the middle of the wire.

My 2 questions
1) Is that considered solid core or stranded ?
2) What length does it need to be ? Just enough to get the boot onto the spark plug or can it be a couple inches longer ?

Adjusting the points..... Have the flywheel key aligned with the fiber running portion of the points, then set them so that a .020 gauge will go through but a .022 will not.

Aligning the coils..... (Magneto & Driver Coil Alignment)(J. Reeves)

To align the coils properly, have the metal vertical portion of the coil yokes aligned with the inside edge of the bevel that exists on the top portion of the aluminum seat upon which the coils sit. This creates the proper distance between the coils and the flywheel magnets. Faulty alignment creates friction and the yokes of the coils heat up, turn blue and expand.

The spark plug wires should be regular HT spark plug wires that have a steel wire inner core... no other kind!

I always cut the new spark plug wires to a 3 foot length, then after having them installed on the engine, route them as needed with the proper amount of slack here and there, then cut them to length.

Plug boot installation..... The rubber boot, spark plug end.... With the wire cut to the length required, trim back 1/4" insulation again but do not solder tint the wires. Simply fan out the wires and fold them back against the insulation, cutting the excess off as explained above. Holding the spring wire terminal, estimate where the prong should be inserted so that the spring will be flush against the exposed wire. Hold the spring terminal away from the wires end (sideways) and insert the prong into the insulation and into the center wire, then swing the spring terminal in front of the exposed wire portion (makes a tight fit for continuity purposes). Spraying the inner portion of the boot where the wire will insert with a small amount of WD40 makes the installation of the wire a easy project. That's it.

You know you had more than one question lurking there! :)

Remenber you need enough lead so the timing plate can rotate to full throttle. I like to put a timing light on it after setting points and adjust as necessary. You wont have any trouble,these are great to work on.

Back