Logo

1974 55hp no start

RobbyB

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I just bought this boat a few days ago and was running great. It would start first try no problem. They guy I bought it from didn't no anything about boats and didn't seem like he knew to much about motors either. I'm no marine Mechanic but I can turn a wrench. The previous owner put on new coils. He couldn't find the right ones so he put on 12v car coils. Don't think that's the problem since it ran when I bought it. I got it home and noticed the thermostat housing was leaking. There was no gasket so I made one. I did get it started but it took a while. Now there was no water flow. I say that bc the hose I have from the thermostat to the exhaust is clear. Now I've replaced the battery with a 750 mca maintenance free from Walmart, put new plugs on it the same ones that it had, cleaned the carb, and checked the electrical system per the factory book. I have the lower unit off bc of the water flow issue but haven't been able to get it to start in days besides once yesterday after trying for ten mins. Then when I shut it off it wouldn't start back up. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Also when I spray starter fluid into the carb it backfires. I tested the coil wires at the slarkplugs with the key on and they both read 12v.

If I give it throttle while trying to start it or choke it all it does is backfire. It just boggles my mind that it was running great a few days ago and now it won't even start.

The backfire could be the key in the flywheel slipped?
The carb adjusted wrong?

The car coils, it's amazing they work at all???
There are 2 types of coils, one with an internal resistor and one without it.
You might be sending too much voltage to the system.
The resistor coil breaks the 12v down to 9v and all inboard systems require 9v.
Might be something that's messing yours up??

Over on iboatsdotcom is another Force/Chrysler forum.
Guy on there called Nordin from Sweden is good with the older ignition models.
There is a way to set up your motor with an automotive coil.

Thanks for the input. I ordered a carb rebuild kit, a fuel pump diaphragm and a new key. I've tried to adjust the carb and it didn't do anything. I need to get a puller to get the flywheel off. If it's a 9v system it's quite possible the car coils messed something up bc I'm getting 12v to the plugs. Thanks for the input.

Flywheel key??
It's amazing how much trouble it can cause!!!

Went fishing and shut the motor off.
Wouldn't start for NOTHING,
Came back in on 2nd motor.

Tried everything, my boss said pull the wheel and yup it was sheared.
Just shutting it off, no backfire or anything.

Flywheel key??
It's amazing how much trouble it can cause!!!

Went fishing and shut the motor off.
Wouldn't start for NOTHING,
Came back in on 2nd motor.

Tried everything, my boss said pull the wheel and yup it was sheared.
Just shutting it off, no backfire or anything.

Crazy isn't it. I was really getting annoyed too. I was ready to give up and bring it to a mechanic. Glad I didn't.

?????Maybe diameter of opening in flywheel has been altered where key is installed ,driveshaft key opening damaged somehow???different keyway needed..

How much torque did you use?
You need at least 80#

Look at the taper inside the flywheel.
If it has ANY scoring or grooves it's gonna continue to shear.
Pics???
The taper on the crank end is usually very very hard and doesn't usually get hurt.
Inspect it anyway.

Back