Logo

1964? 60hp sportfour electric-salvageable?

WillsPride

I recently found this old 60HP SportFour advertised locally. I only wanted the good original prop but as the price was right I took everything the seller had. The engine had been left partially disassembled by the original owner who passed away twenty years ago while working on it. The plugs, carbs, fuel pump and starter motor have all been removed. I can't see a coil anywhere either. I managed to locate the carbs amongst the other assorted junk and they appear to be intact and complete.

Its been stored under a house in less than ideal conditions and is obviously seized. Is it likely the rings have rusted firmly to the bores rendering the engine block useless? Where is the best place to start to have a go at getting it to turn over?

I like the idea of a magneto ignition not being battery dependant for starting and operation, over my current electric start only 1967 model SportFour. I only paid AUD$100 for this unit and was wondering if it is worthwhile having a go at unseizing it. I know fuel pumps are still available new from the USA but I'm not so sure about a suitable coil though.

How difficult are these v four engines to pull start once tuned and operating correctly? I'm a big guy and could use the excersise!

I'm not at all sure about the year of manufacture. There is no serial/model number plate in the spot on the bracket where it is on my 1976 model. I'm guessing at the year based on what Champion spark plugs are called for written on the label on the inside of the engine hood door. It says 'J4J'

Cheers Will.:cool:

Might as well learn something else. The 580243 coil is US$241.78 here at marineengine.
From the looks of that motor, it is a complete teardown job.

To answer our other question, they really are not that difficult to hand start, for the average healthy guy. That magneto can put out 50,000 volts at 60 RPM

That is a "Power Propeller" I see on the engine.... it develops much more thrust that the average propeller without affecting the top end speed. It's normally used on heavy, hard to plane boats rigs that are used to pull multiple skiers, that sort of thing. Back in the day, I swore by them and it was all I'd use on my rigs.

Having a regular prop on my engine back then... and then installing a power propeller, it was like installing a additional engine!

Thanks everyone for the feedback and advice. Am I correct in assuming the magneto ignition on this engine doesn't require a coil like my '67 model does?
Being an 'electric start' model, with back up pull starting does this engine have a way of charging a battery?
The mounting bracket is very different to my '67 model too. I can't for the life of me see where the through bolts go in the bracket or is there another piece somewhere?

The boat this engine was on was a 21ft cruiser built in about 1962 according to the seller. Good call joereeves! My boat is a locally built 15ft fibreglass open runabout, but being made in '68 it is quite heavy so this prop should work well then?

I'll pull the heads off on the weekend weather permitting[no garage]and see what horrors I find inside :)

Yes, that prop should serve you well.... and if need be, it would be well worth having rehubed. Don't even think of discarding it.

The coil is inside the magneto. Remove the cap and plug wire assembly to reveal it. I'd suspect that due to age, it is probably cracked and if so, obviously destroyed.... unfortunately if so = $$$.

After removing the magneto, to install it, you will need to know how to time the engine (belt driven mag). I have that bulletin/info from OMC's service manual if needed. I would require your email address.

Yes, that prop should serve you well.... and if need be, it would be well worth having rehubed. Don't even think of discarding it.

The coil is inside the magneto. Remove the cap and plug wire assembly to reveal it. I'd suspect that due to age, it is probably cracked and if so, obviously destroyed.... unfortunately if so = $$$.

After removing the magneto, to install it, you will need to know how to time the engine (belt driven mag). I have that bulletin/info from OMC's service manual if needed. I would require your email address.

Thanks joereeves. Would that 'power prop' be made of aluminium alloy? It looks to much more solid than the one one my operational SportFour. Should I spend a little time and sand back and repaint the prop, or polish it? I can now keep the old damaged & worn[but still functional]prop as a spare in the boat.
Cheers William.

Thanks joereeves. Would that 'power prop' be made of aluminium alloy? It looks to much more solid than the one one my operational SportFour. Should I spend a little time and sand back and repaint the prop, or polish it? I can now keep the old damaged & worn[but still functional]prop as a spare in the boat.
Cheers William.

William... Yes, that propeller (the blade assembly) is aluminum. The hub is bronze, the vulcanized rubber in between the two is of course vulcanized rubber. I assume you've never used one, and if so, don't have anyone standing on the transom when you hit the throttle. :) BTW, it doesn't look to have any wear on it... new???

The timing procedure for those older V4 engines has been sent. (Joe0

William... Yes, that propeller (the blade assembly) is aluminum. The hub is bronze, the vulcanized rubber in between the two is of course vulcanized rubber. I assume you've never used one, and if so, don't have anyone standing on the transom when you hit the throttle. :) BTW, it doesn't look to have any wear on it... new???

The timing procedure for those older V4 engines has been sent. (Joe0

Thanks Joe :) You're right, I've never used a power prop on any boat I've had over the years. I thought my little 15 foot GRP runabout went OK with the very worn and damaged prop so it should be fun to let loose and see how it goes! Thanks for the timing procedure too, I'll have a play on the weekend.

Cheers Mate, Will.

I'm in the process of getting this same motor(?) going (60652). I've rebuilt the carburetors, fuel pump, replaces ignition wires, points, and condenser. I may be able to share some of my experiences I have had (although I am not an expert).

Back