Logo

Outboard won't shut off. NS9.8B

MOA_Chaser

Fixing up my new-to-me boat. The outboard starts right up every time, but the safety switch doesn't shut off the motor and it won't shut off with the key.

I pulled the hood and these two brown wires aren't attached to anything.

IMG_20160624_190044.jpg

When I touch both of those brown wires to that nut to ground them out, the engine shuts off. Connecting them doesn't have any effect, just grounding both of them.

To what are these wires supposed to be connected?

Brown is the kill wire. Then the stop switch connects it to ground to kill the motor. If that bundle if wires (on the right) (with the white tie-wrap) is from the RC box, you may also want to connect the black from that bundle to a black ground wire connector.

If you have an RC box with key start, the ignition switch does the same thing, so in that case, you can disconnect the brown wire from an on-the-motor kill switch. Refer to p.45 of your owners manual at http://tohatsu.com/tech_info/own_man_pdfs/Toh8B_98B.pdf

Last edited:
I think I got it figured out. I connected the black wire to black, and brown to brown and it works the way it should. Hopefully, that's right. It threw me off, because both connectors are female. I had to put new connectors on the wires to get them together. The key switch now works, as well as the safety shutoff.

Back